Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Howdy from the woods of Pennsylvania!

Howdy from the woods of Pennsylvania!

Howdy! My name is Darlene. I live on wooded acreage in the middle of Pennsylvania. I love living in the woods and have chosen the screen name Wood Sprite.

I started my first quilt in the Fall of 2017. I got it pieced, sandwiched and quilted but had to stop because my health declined too much while making it. (Bad heart made it hard to crawl on the floor to sandwich and pin baste it.) I still need to finish the borders and bind it but that hasn't stopped me from using it now and then.

My second quilt was much smaller than the first and very simple. I need to tie it and bind it and plan to donate it. But my health and life got in the way and I didn't get back to doing that or finishing the first one. I plan to finish both soon.

I did completely make and finish a third quilt a few weeks ago. I made it for my dog that was in kidney failure using colors that made me think of her fur and her eyes. It gave her comfort during her last days and will gives me comfort to hug it now. We had to euthanize her two days ago (12/31). I miss her so much but am glad I have this quilt to snuggle when I think of her.

I tend to over-research and over-think things when I start new hobbies. I've already designed several quilts on graph paper and look forward to making them once I get more practice with some other smaller quilts and get some tables so I don't have to crawl on the floor to sandwich and baste the larger quilts that I really want to make. I also read over 95% of the posts in the Main Section of QB and have learned a lot from you already. I love how you all support each other and repeatedly say there are no rules, make what you like. That's my philosophy, too!

Thank you to whomever started this forum, those that moderate it, and those that share their knowledge. I'm happy join and look forward to getting to know all of you!

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Welcome to the boards. Love your screen name. Enjoy your return to the quilting journey.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Welcome from Michigan!

Hi and a warm welcome from North Carolina! Smaller quilts are tons easier than that big one you have to crawl on the floor to work on.

I'm so sorry you had to put your dog down during the Holiday season. It's heart rendering any time, but I had to put my very favorite, best-loved, and most loving one down on Christmas Eve several years ago, and I still grieve when I think of her every Christmas.

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome from Quebec, Canada.

Greetings Wood Sprite/Darlene. What an interesting introduction Glad to have you here. I'm with you that I don't appreciate crawling around on the floor, plus I just have too much stuff to move around any more. Some people use the folding ping pong tables for quilt layout, when you are not using them they fold up flat. Something to look for in Craig's List or thrift stores...

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Welcome from Oklahoma. So sorry to hear about your dog.

My Jim got me two wonderful folding tables (about 30 x 60) from Walmart. I set them up in the living room when I want to pin. They are great.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Maine...you’re gonna love it here.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Vermont

Welcome from South Louisiana. Happy Quilting!
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm currently looking through the 100+ page thread of scrappy quilts. WOW! I've always loved the look of scrappy quilts but you all are blowing me away with your talent!

SillySusan, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy no matter the time of year. We lost our 16-1/2 year old dog in September 2017, our nearly 13 year old dog in February 2018 then adopted this dog in March. The next day she was diagnosed with kidney failure from lyme nephritis. They told us she'd only live a few weeks but with aggressive treatment, we managed 10 months and she had some good quality of life for a while. She knew she was loved - by us, friends and all of the vet staff. I miss them all so much. And I decided to started quilting partly to help me cope and keep a positive outlook about life.

Iceblossom and Boston 1954, thanks for the table suggestions. I have 24" x 48" folding tables that I use for my handmade soap business. I'm using two of them right now for a sewing station and a cutting station. I was planning to buy more of them for quilting so I could arrange and rearrange them, or take them down, depending on the task I was doing. But I really like the ping pong table idea. I'll keep my eyes open for a free or cheap one. Thanks!

Welcome from the woods of central VA! I love living in the woods, too, except for the snakes in summer. My husband relocates them when they are a menace. I lost my ShihTzu in May but now have a 6 mo. old pup who is just wonderful. She doesn't replace our girl, but she is so much fun to have around. You've come to the right place for quilt inspiration. Wow, there are all levels of talent here--and all appreciated!

Howdy & welcome to the boards from Texas. So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear dog. They become so much a family member & it's so hard to let them go. Try to remember all the good times you had with her while she was with you.
    I still crawl on the floor to sandwich my quilts but have been known to take them to the local Senior Center & borrow some of their big tables. Just last year a sewing lounge opened up in our town & they have big tables that I will be able to use also.
    Hope you enjoy the Quilting Board. There are lots of helpful people here to are willing to share their knowledge with you.