Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   I don't know how to quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/i-dont-know-how-quilt-t121923.html)

wannaquilt1 05-09-2011 11:27 AM

but i would love to learn! I have looked at many patterns but none of them explain how to do the actual "quilting" part so where do I find that? I'm lost :)

fabrichore 05-09-2011 11:38 AM

I am still learning how to put all the blocks and backing together, I just started to do the stich in the ditch, which is a form of quilting (the easiest i think), it is the only one I have attempted, you will find this site very helpful, go to your home tab above and there you will find tutorials and links to patterns and links on everything from binding to quilting. very informative, that is how I am learning anyway, step by step...

By the way welcome from Mass...

Jim's Gem 05-09-2011 11:39 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

There are lots of wonderful tutorials here on the board and lots and lots of knowledgeable quilters to help you.

DogHouseMom 05-09-2011 11:43 AM

There are two steps ... first you piece the quilt, then you quilt it. Patterns for piecing rarely if ever give directions for quilting.

There are scores of books that teach "quilting" - both basics and books that are more specific about different quilted patterns (feathers, wreaths, etc.)

There are also classes that teach various types of quilting. Check with your local quilt shop.

Also, lots of people piece quilts then send them to someone else to quilt. Nothing in the world wrong with that approach either.

So go ahead and pick a pattern and piece it. In the mean time take a quilt class or get a few quilting books.

luey0202 05-09-2011 11:43 AM

I also have just really be learning to "quilt" by reading on here and you can go to youtube, they have some go ones to watch and I have found that if you pratice on something like "placemats" or "table runners" that are alot easier to handle until you get to know what your doing and when you feel more comfortable quilting.... good luck

Cherylsea 05-09-2011 12:01 PM

Go to your local library and check out their quilting section. Ask at your local quilt shop (or even WalMart) to see if there is a quilt guild anywhere near you. Some guild are good and some are very hard to make friends but, with luck, you will find a good one and they will be happy to help. Start with small easy projects and soon you will be a happy quilter!

Ramona Byrd 05-09-2011 12:22 PM

Today I bought some fabric at Joanne's and it just screams out to be a one piece wonder. All I'll have to do is plop it down on batting and backing, got that there too, all 40 percent off. (Not the batting) And then I'll stitch in the ditch on all the squares there.

Something like that would fit you nicely, and get you started quilting right soon. I'm cheating because I want to make at least 4 premie quilts for the hospital I used to volunteer with so long.
This will be easy to do, probably what will take most time is the binding, haven't decided on that yet.

dar627742 05-09-2011 12:39 PM

am not qualified to give advice,just wanted to welcome you to the board.you will LOVE it here,never metso many helpful& caring people!
dar

CarrieAnne 05-09-2011 01:16 PM

welcome!

wanderingcreek 05-09-2011 02:06 PM

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. You will find many wonderful people here to help you with any problems you might have. But be forewarned, this site is very addictive.