Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New Kid ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-kid-t322396.html)

Apples&Oranges 02-02-2024 07:50 AM

New Kid ...

Finally did a Google search and low and behold -- look who I found! 🤷😂😂😂

Not new to sewing but have decided to buckle down and work on perfecting my 1/4 inch seams ... Glad to have found y'all!

bearisgray 02-02-2024 07:52 AM

Hello and Welcome!

The 1/ 4 inch seam is only a part of the process.

Iceblossom 02-02-2024 08:04 AM

Welcome aboard! I saw your post in the Fabric Moratorium thread first and am still chuckling to myself -- I worked at a fabric store as a college job -- that was back in 1983 and I think I had fabric from that until my latest move (2023!!). Some of it was garment yardage and I gave up garment construction maybe 20 years ago?? It went to a good home, a textile arts student.

Apples&Oranges 02-02-2024 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8634709)
Welcome aboard! I saw your post in the Fabric Moratorium thread first and am still chuckling to myself -- I worked at a fabric store as a college job -- that was back in 1983 and I think I had fabric from that until my latest move (2023!!). Some of it was garment yardage and I gave up garment construction maybe 20 years ago?? It went to a good home, a textile arts student.

Haha! My grandmother was a traditionally trained tailor. I was cutting up fabric, sewing and trimming before I started kindergarten. And so ... I have my share of garment fabrics also. 🤭🤭

I've made it my mission this year to make at least 3 baby blankets a month to donate to the Infant Crisis Center here in November. And honestly I could probably do that every year for the rest of my life and still have baby/juvenile print fabrics left over.

I also have some art quilts I've drawn out over the last 3-4 years that I want to get started on. And finish. Thankfully, I had been on mission to finish up a BUNCH of projects I had going before the accident so I'm able to kinda get a fresh start this year. Feels good to feel like doing something fun for a change. It's been a rough few years.

Quiltah Mama 02-03-2024 04:04 AM

Welcome, so glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing what you create. It would not be a good combination of me working in a fabric store, that would be dangerous.😳

Lena1952 02-03-2024 05:18 AM

Hello and welcome from Delaware. I work at a quilt shop and I can tell you the struggle is REAL! It's good to have goals to work toward. But don't be surprised if you get side tracked. I seem to do this often - oh look a squirrel.

Ms Morgan 02-04-2024 05:45 PM

Hi, my big struggle is cutting straight, if I get that right my 1/4 in seams are better.

quiltingcandy 02-04-2024 05:58 PM

Hello and welcome from Southern California!!! I have been quilting since the late 70's - my mom taught me to sew in 1962, when we moved to WA and my best friend had a toy Singer machine. I wanted one so bad but my mom felt if I was going to learn to sew I need to learn to sew properly, and on her Singer 15-91. (I have that machine now.).

Can't really remember who said the 1/4 inch seam isn't as important as being consistent with all seams.

Looking forward to reading and seeing your future work and posts.

WMUTeach 02-05-2024 05:56 AM

Welcome, Apples&Oranges. You are already making friends I see. Wander about the site and you will find inspiration, new ideas galore and answers to questions you did not know you had. On, yes, lots of opinions too! ;) Glad to have you aboard.