New Kid ...

Old 02-02-2024, 07:50 AM

Default New Kid ...

Finally did a Google search and low and behold -- look who I found! 🤷😂😂😂

Not new to sewing but have decided to buckle down and work on perfecting my 1/4 inch seams ... Glad to have found y'all!

Old 02-02-2024, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!

The 1/ 4 inch seam is only a part of the process.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:04 AM

Welcome aboard! I saw your post in the Fabric Moratorium thread first and am still chuckling to myself -- I worked at a fabric store as a college job -- that was back in 1983 and I think I had fabric from that until my latest move (2023!!). Some of it was garment yardage and I gave up garment construction maybe 20 years ago?? It went to a good home, a textile arts student.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Welcome aboard! I saw your post in the Fabric Moratorium thread first and am still chuckling to myself -- I worked at a fabric store as a college job -- that was back in 1983 and I think I had fabric from that until my latest move (2023!!). Some of it was garment yardage and I gave up garment construction maybe 20 years ago?? It went to a good home, a textile arts student.
Haha! My grandmother was a traditionally trained tailor. I was cutting up fabric, sewing and trimming before I started kindergarten. And so ... I have my share of garment fabrics also. 🤭🤭

I've made it my mission this year to make at least 3 baby blankets a month to donate to the Infant Crisis Center here in November. And honestly I could probably do that every year for the rest of my life and still have baby/juvenile print fabrics left over.

I also have some art quilts I've drawn out over the last 3-4 years that I want to get started on. And finish. Thankfully, I had been on mission to finish up a BUNCH of projects I had going before the accident so I'm able to kinda get a fresh start this year. Feels good to feel like doing something fun for a change. It's been a rough few years.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:04 AM

Welcome, so glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing what you create. It would not be a good combination of me working in a fabric store, that would be dangerous.😳
Old 02-03-2024, 05:18 AM

Hello and welcome from Delaware. I work at a quilt shop and I can tell you the struggle is REAL! It's good to have goals to work toward. But don't be surprised if you get side tracked. I seem to do this often - oh look a squirrel.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:45 PM

Hi, my big struggle is cutting straight, if I get that right my 1/4 in seams are better.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:58 PM

Hello and welcome from Southern California!!! I have been quilting since the late 70's - my mom taught me to sew in 1962, when we moved to WA and my best friend had a toy Singer machine. I wanted one so bad but my mom felt if I was going to learn to sew I need to learn to sew properly, and on her Singer 15-91. (I have that machine now.).

Can't really remember who said the 1/4 inch seam isn't as important as being consistent with all seams.

Looking forward to reading and seeing your future work and posts.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:56 AM

Welcome, Apples&Oranges. You are already making friends I see. Wander about the site and you will find inspiration, new ideas galore and answers to questions you did not know you had. On, yes, lots of opinions too! Glad to have you aboard.