Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New from Maine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-maine-t308588.html)

Bags 12-13-2019 10:30 AM

New from Maine

Hello! Just joined this board today. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and I've learned so much from reading a lot of threads, that I knew I wanted to join. Thank you.

I do have a question - I've been doing some research and have decided on getting a new machine, Brother 1500. I would love to get one from one of the dealers here, but closest is 30 minutes drive and they obviously aren't able to take my Bernina in as a trade-in. I understand why. Is it okay to buy one from Amazon, Walmart or Joann Fabric?

I do buy things from the local shops, but the price difference is such a factor right now, that it's hard to pass up the lower price on-line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again to everyone on this board. I have so enjoyed the conversations.

KalamaQuilts 12-13-2019 10:41 AM

My Janome dealer will take any machine as a trade in, odd that shop doesn't.

welcome to the board from SW Washington

Bags 12-13-2019 11:00 AM

Thank you KalamaQuilts! I'm excited to be here. Originally from Montana until a year ago. We were neighbors!

I contacted a couple of single brand local shops and if my trade in wasn't originally bought at their store, they won't take it. One other store would, but they don't have a machine that I'm interested in.

Tartan 12-13-2019 11:03 AM

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If your Bernina is still working, keep it as your back up machine.

Iceblossom 12-13-2019 11:09 AM

Making sure everything is exact means it is ok to buy a brand name from one store to another, price does matter but factor in shipping costs if any. But be wary, some have very minor SKU number differences which may or may not make a difference. I've been told, for example, that some Walmart electronics "passed" their manufacturing tests but not as highly as the regular models.

My Costco Brother I bought as a class machine had a specific model number, took me a little tiny bit to figure out which bobbins to use for it. When I went the next town over to the Brother shop they treated me badly and I have refused to go there ever again, basically they sniffed down their noses at me and since I bought a "disposable" machine instead of one of their high priced Brothers they wouldn't even look up the model of the bobbins I needed. Fine, didn't need their overpriced bobbins anyway... and I'm still using this opportunity to speak badly of that establishment/encounter. If I ever did buy a Brother (and I rather like their embroidery machines) I will never ever buy it from that establishment nor would I use it for service.

QuiltnNan 12-13-2019 11:26 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

ILoveToQuilt 12-13-2019 11:29 AM

Welcome to QB. I split my time between southern NH and Aroostook County.

Regarding buying a machine from Amazon or big box stores, I would stick to a local dealer. You will get the best possible service (i.e. cleanings, tune-ups, etc.). A lot of smaller shops will not work on machines bought at Walmart, etc. Also, you may be able to negotiate a better price with a small shop (check the manufacturer's website to see if they are running any price promotions on the machine). I was able to get my Baby Lock Jazz at 50% off at a local shop because Baby Lock was selling the machine directly for 50% off.

You may be able to sell your other machine privately. Why not keep it as a class machine/travel machine? If you are a member of the local Pine Tree Quilt Guild chapter, maybe someone in the guild would be interested in buying. There are many quilting resale groups on Facebook. There is a forum here on QB for items for sale. You may have luck selling it here. Good luck.

I don't know where you are in Maine, but 30 minutes away...not that far. I travel that far in the County just to get to a supermarket.

Just my 2 cents...Welcome, again!

Bags 12-13-2019 11:32 AM

Thank you Tartan! My Bernina is working very well. It is a B215. There are a number of things I like about it, but the harp space is small and it is hard to get bulky fabrics and/or multiple layers under the presser foot. Thank you for the advice, I think I am going to hang on to it.

Bags 12-13-2019 11:38 AM

Thank you Iceblossom! I've been wondering about the differences with the machines from different retailers. Good advice.

I have the same feeling about certain stores as well. Have not returned to them.

Bags 12-13-2019 11:43 AM

Thank you QuiltnNan! I should warn everyone that this my first time joining a board of any kind. So I hope people will be patient with me as I try and learn how to navigate, and respond and post and ...