Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New from NC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-nc-t499.html)

SandyGail 01-25-2007 04:44 PM

Just getting into quilting. Hope to meet others & share ideas.
SandyGail

Knot Sew 01-26-2007 04:55 AM

this is my first year quilting, I'm in NY. This is a great place, lots of give and take. Feel free to help other and to ask for help. :D

Minda 01-26-2007 06:16 AM

Hi, This is a great forum to meet new friends. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

mimisharon 01-28-2007 02:33 PM

Hi SandyGail,
I'm in NC also, on the coast in Jacksonville. Where are you, if you don't mind my asking? Maybe we could start a new guild or group or circle?

Sharon

SandyGail 01-29-2007 05:40 PM

I am in New Bern, but belong to the Croatan Quilt in Havelock. Have you been to All About Quilting? I know one of the girls there & I have been going down there to get material.
Sandy

nanaforbes 01-29-2007 07:48 PM

Hi Sandy Gail,I too am in NC. I live in Gastonia. I am a self tought quilter and am having fon doing it. I am about to start a new quilt if I can find out how to do it. Just finished my second shadow quilt. That one was a Cal.King. I'm also working on a Catheral Window.It's a twin so far and want to make it a queen. I want to find out how to do a "around the twist" I thinkthe name of it is and I want to add photos I've taken of my 13 year old grandson's years in scouting.Any ideas?

SandyGail 01-30-2007 04:49 PM

I am not familiar with that one. I have heard of the Catheral Window but not done one. I have been quilting for a couple of years, but only baby quilts and usually the same pattern. I like something quick. I did my new great-grandson a quilt where I appliqued on the machine things that go (cars, trains, trucks & planes). It turned out very nice. I just finished 2 Turning 20 tops, but have not quilted them yet. They are full size. They were quick and simple. I have not been brave enough to do free motion quilting. Usually I stitch in the ditch. But I am getting there! My quilt guild president, did a demo on an attic window block, where you make triangles & fold & stitch. It looked easy. I may try that soon. We are doing an allnite sew 2/9 & one lady is helping us do a square quilt which has one large star in it. It comes in 3 sizes and I am doing the smallest (44' sq). I am looking forward to the sewing get together.
Sandy

Estella 01-30-2007 06:50 PM

nanaforbes, I have a little box next to the yahoo icon and it says "Search Web". I typed in quilt-Around the Twist and it gave me a site with pictures and instructions and everything you might want concerning this quilt. I hope you can find it. My email add. is [email protected] if you need to get in touch with me. Estella

Estella 01-30-2007 07:01 PM

nanaforbes, I forgot to tell you when you get to the sites go to number 3 The Twisted Frenzy pg 3 and click on that one. Estella

nanaforbes 01-31-2007 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In the Catheral Window you cut out blocks of muslin into 8-12" squares.
First fold in half,sew the two sides, fold in half again. I like to start in the middle and sew out at this point, leave and opening big enough to turn your square rightside out. Fold the 4 corners to the middle so you have a smaller square and sew only the points. Cut 1" calico squares for 8" muslin or 2" calico for anything larger. Sew all squares together to make a long row. (I did 21 squares per row) to make it wide enough for a queen size bed. Every where you have two squares, put a piece of 2" cloth,fold over the sides to cover the raw edges. I like to use double thread for all execpt for the folded edges. I hpoe this makes some kind of sense to you.
I like to cut about 20-30 squares at a time and I cut 1/2 rd of calico at a time and use a lot of differant colors.

Quilt that was shadow quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]367[/ATTACH]

catheral window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]368[/ATTACH]