Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   a Very New Beginner... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/very-new-beginner-t291744.html)

muttlesslove 10-09-2017 06:53 AM

a Very New Beginner...

Hello all. We were blessed to have our first grandson 3 months ago and of course I wanted to make him a quilt. I barely even sew but I gave it a try. I have been a paper crafter for years and thought I could make this quilt. I attended a quilt show in Dallas and bought a kit. I finished the quilt with Lots of mistakes but hey, it was my first one. LOL I don't think the quilt police will be at my home anytime soon. I am turning one of our spare rooms into my sewing room. I have a room for my paper crafts but I can't get my sewing stuff in there. Needless to say I am Hooked. I want to make quilts for both of my sisters, my 2 daughters, my bestie....well you get it.
So this is where you come in. I was searching for a sewing machine to buy because of course I Need a new machine...I stumbled upon this board and now I am more confused as ever as to what machine to buy. I've narrowed it down to either a Juki Exceed F600, Janome 4120 QDC-B or Husquvarna Opal 690Q. I can't afford a Bernina, which looks like a FABULOUS machine but I'll need to win the lottery for that one. Anyway, any and All help will be much appreciated. I have been married for 39 years, an empty nester, an avid animal advocate and now a new grandma and wanna be quilter.
Much love, Mary in Texas

Sleepy Hollow 10-09-2017 06:57 AM

I started just a year ago and also got completely hooked! The best advice I got on a machine, since they are all pretty good, was to choose one that can be serviced locally (or as local as possible). Here, you might have to go several hours away to find a licensed person to service your brand. It will be much easier if you have one nearby.

QuiltnNan 10-09-2017 07:31 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

Libster 10-09-2017 08:11 AM

Welcome to our quilting world. It is completely addictive. Just buy a machine that you try out first and are comfortable with. A local serviceman is almost a given. When you choose your machine, ask if they have a serviceman available.
If you have any questions, please ask. Someone on here will be able to answer them for you. Again, a big welcome!

SusieQOH 10-09-2017 08:46 AM

Hi Mary, welcome to the board and congratulations on becoming a Grandma!!

Tartan 10-09-2017 09:15 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Do a list of your must have in a machine and find the machine that best fits your needs. My must haves are needle down function, good buttonhole stitch for machine appliqué, feed dogs that lower for free motion quilting and most important...good warranty and shop for repairs and cleaning when needed. A good resource for quilt tutorials is Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quikt co. on YouTube.

bearisgray 10-09-2017 11:07 AM

Welcome - this is an addictive activity -

A caution: Perhaps don't promise a quilt to everyone you know quite yet - - - I did - and I am feeling guilty because I have not fulfilled all of those promises yet.

Another caution: This can be an expensive activity - so if finances are an issue (they are for some of us) - again be cautious with what you promise.

All my machines are middle-aged - my "youngest" one is 23 years old that I just bought as a "used machine" a week ago. I will compare my piecing and stitching with the best of them with my "older" machines. So I can't offer much help with the newer machines.

If your machine does a decent straight stitch, that will take care of ALL of your piecing needs. Honest! But if you are looking for a reason/excuse for a new or newer machine - go for it! :-)

You might start out with how much you want/can spend and go from there.

Is an embroidery function important to you? That is another category that requires more supplies like stabilizers, specialty threads, etc. etc.

Do you have friends that might let you "play" on their machines for a bit? Some just "feel better" than others.

PS - Congratulations on finishing your first quilt. :thumbup:

M.Elizabeth 10-09-2017 02:25 PM

Sorry, I'm no help with machines. I bought a low-end Bernina when I started quite a few years ago. It has definitely been a great investment and has given me no trouble. I also have my mom's treadle Singer purchased in 1949, which is what I learned to sew on, but I haven't used it for quilting. Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Thumbelina 10-09-2017 04:18 PM

Hi Mary, welcome waving to you from NEW Ohio.

TheMerkleFamily 10-09-2017 07:33 PM

Welcome Mary :wave: