Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Quilting Newbie >

Quilting Newbie

Quilting Newbie

Old 02-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Quilting Newbie

Just started quilting in November. Maggie, my darling Chihuahua, inspired me to take after my Mom, who's been quilting for years. Maggie is the proud and warm recipient of my first quilt. Made it completely from scratch, no pattern and not knowing a thing about quilting. Just bought some fabric, a rotary cutter and cutting mat and went to town. I think it turned out pretty good considering I had no clue what I was doing. Squaring fabric? What's that?! Needless to say, I'm addicted. Over Christmas, my Mom let me rummage through all her scraps and quilting books. I bought an e book and have read it and watched the videos repeatedly. I do something quilting related every day. One of favorite things to do is buy fabric! Spitting crow feathers now, because after moving my parents into a new house and helping my Mom set up her sewing room, I told her she couldn't buy anymore fabric. She laughs at me every time I tell her about the new fabric I bought. I've started my first sampler quilt, have sewn and resewn enough blocks to make several quilts by now and have switched to another design. Can't seem to stop experimenting with different fabric and how it works together. Needed a break from piecing and started reading and watching videos on free motion quilting. Found this forum when searching the web about sewing with cones of thread. Joined today looking for answers about fmq and was amazed to see how quickly so many people answer questions posted. Will find the appropriate place to ask my questions elsewhere. Just really glad to join a great group of people. Thank you in advance for all the help I know I'll get and hope to be able to pass it on one day. Audrey Phillips
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Welcome to the board. Looks like you got gotten by the quilting bug. Can't wait to see more from you.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Welcome from Southern California! You will find most of us started out being self-taught and then wanting more. It's fun to see how different people do the same thing in different ways.

You are fortunate you have a mother that quilts - she will be a great resource too.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Welcome from E Washington! Glad you've joined us!!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Welcome from OHIO! So glad to have you join us. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable quilters here, I'm sure you'll get lots of help when you need it.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:10 PM

Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC. This is a great site, and you will learn many new things. I have far more fabric than I can ever use in my lifetime, but if I see something I like, I buy!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Hi Audrey, and welcome from Washington!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 AM

Hello Audrey and welcome from Australia.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:00 AM

Glad you join the addicts on this board. Welcome from Missouri.