Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Researching Rug Looms >

Researching Rug Looms

Researching Rug Looms

Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Hello All Quilter's,

I visited a flea market today and came across a booth with rag rugs for sale. Rug weaving is something I would like to learn. I have been reading about the different type of looms available. There is a weavers class offered not too far from my home. Any insite on the appropriate type of loom needed for weaving rugs would be appreciated.
Thank you, Kelly
Old 09-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I thought about getting a loom but am currently seeing how frugal I can be. The frames to weave a rug are actually very simple the internet and youtube have all kinds of info.
I have found that the "toothbrush" rug is the easiest rug to make . Second to that is crochet rugs if you know how to crochet. Look up the toothbrush rug, It will make you want to start tearing up all the cloths and old sheets in the house lol. Super simple, all you need is a clothes hanger,duct tape and rags! This is a wonderful site to start.

http://ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush-rug...rt-1-beginners
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 AM

Welcome from Virginia
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 AM

Welcome to the message board.

I second the idea of crocheting the rugs. All you need is the material and a good large crochet hook. You can learn to crochet from You tube videos.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

i make hooked wool rugs, locker hooked rugs, wrapped clothesline rugs and even crocheted rugs...I LOVE RUGS! almost more than quilting (did i really say that???)
but i don't have room for a loom- or the desire to start yet another different technique---so- i sold my loom
i suggest you visit the place offering classes- and ask questions about looms- the one i had was a table top loom-not real big- but for some reason very expensive (at least i thought so) my mom had picked it up at an auction and given it to me- i moved it from spot to spot for about 10 years- then decided it was just in the way- when i finally decided to look it up and find out about it i found out that they sell for anywhere from $400= $750 for the one i had!!! it deserved a better home than what i had been giving it! so i let it go
rag rugs are seldom (if ever) made with a loom
rag rugs tend to be hooked- or crocheted- or tooth brush rugs---which is another technique- easy to learn- easy to make- uses up those scraps!
prehaps do a rag-rug search
Old 09-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.:)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 AM

Hello from Kansas
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 AM

I found weaving rugs very unforgiving. One mistake, and it is very obvious and difficult to undo and also keep the tension correctly (at least for me). I opted to hooking rugs and had more success.Now I don't make them as I have enough. However, Turkey rug wool was the best quality to use, in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 AM

I make crochet rugs using homespun strips. They are very, very easy to make and look like expensive rugs purchased in stores. And talk about durable! I don't think you can wear them out.