Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
So many choices! >

So many choices!

So many choices!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Greetings, all! I am new to quilting and have only a 1949 Singer. It served me well with my first and only project -- a table runner -- but I understand that my Singer has its limitations! Now that I know that I am signing up for more classes, I would like to invest in a new machine, but so many choices! How does a new quilter know what to buy? Maybe I should even consider looking for a well maintained used machine...? Anyway, thanks in advance for any of your suggestions. ~Calli
Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Hello and welcome from Argentina! :D
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Cali-
Don't be so quick to give up your machine. The NEW Singers suck, as a rule. The old ones are prized by many on this board. I have a 1953 Singer 15-91 that is a total workhorse, and a Japanese made 1961 atlas that i also love.

While you may want the bells and whistles of a newer machine, and the computer stuff, your machine will be stitching long after their plastic parts and computer chips have gone to the big graveyard.

There is a thread here for Vintage machines- Billy, (Lostn51) can tell you lots about your machine, if you have the serial number. Check out the thread

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

There are over 500 pages, so reading it all is crazy, but post at the end. Do you know what model you have? Some are highly sought!

And my 53 has a zig-zagger and all kinds of things. I also have a Juki straight stitch machine, and a really cheap Brother that I only use for applique stitches.

You will get all kinds of advice here- each person loves their own machines. My advice is to stick with yours for a bit longer, and figure out what you want to do with your new machine. For instance, I like to piece and machine quilt, but I am not big on embroidery or lots of fancy stitches, so therefore, when I made my big purchase, it was a straight stitch machine ideal for free-motion quilting. For others, they use the embroidery feature on their machines. Be careful not to buy something dazzling, that you might find yourself not using.

Welcome to the board!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM

HAZELJANE = Well said

CALLI - Welcome!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

welcome!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Hi, Hazeljane! Thanks for the advice. You made me remember what a girlfriend told me several years ago. She had invested in an expensive new embroidery machine, and found that after using it on three quilts for her granddaughters and two garments for her husband, she was no longer interested in using it. She is the one who turned me on to the old Singers as she had one as well. It was her favorite machine for basic sewing and quilting, but she also LOVED her Bernina.
Yes, I DO have the serial number. I was able to look it up on a Singer site, and learning a little about its history made me love it even more. I was fortunate to find one in such good shape, I know. When I bought it, the lady guaranteed me that it sewed "like new"...but it actually didn't sew at all. I took it to a place that specialized in servicing the old machines, and $45 later, it WAS IN FACT good as new. The repairman told me that it is one of the nicest old Singers that he has ever seen, and the $45 included an overall check and cleaning. I have NO complaints at all. Good deal!
Thanks again for your advice. I will soon be checking out that website you suggested, too.
Happy quilting!
~Calli
Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Hi, Patti!
Thanks for the welcome. Gosh, I can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone is. Being a part of this Board is going to be fun.
Wishing you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR of QUILTING!
~Calli
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Hello from Western Maryland !!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Cyn

Beautiful!