Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Thank You !!! from a newbie >

Thank You !!! from a newbie

Thank You !!! from a newbie

Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 AM

Default Thank You !!! from a newbie

I have to say thank you to everyone who has asked questions here and everyone who gave their answers and opinions. I have spent more than a week reading over literally hundreds of pages of posts. I got answers to questions i wouldn't have thought to ask and i appreciate that it is all there for someone like me to look over. I was surprised by how much i already knew without realizing it.

I have been sewing since i was about 7 (about 28 years) and have sadly never really progressed beyond a beginner level. I suppose i never needed or wanted to go beyond that level before. I can make curtains, drapes, shopping bags, etc. I also know that i am capable of things like hemming and mending even though I hate them and won't.

I made my first "quilt" in 2004 or 2005 when my youngest daughter was a baby. It was a recycled bed sheet that i hand dyed and then sewed into 2 big 4 patches joined together with french seems. I only learned a few weeks ago what a french seem was and i have been sewing them for as long as i can remember.

A few years ago I made several rag quilts because i needed a fast and easy sewing fix but they are nothing to brag about.

About 2 months ago i got bit by the sewing bug after not touching my machine for 2 years. I took a high dive into quilting and it is so much fun. I've already made about 5 decent sized throw quilts and a quilted bag. Nothing i have made is perfect, they don't even qualify as good really.

Because of all of you, i am learning to let the little things go and i look forward to getting better with practice.

Thank You All !!!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 AM

Welcome to the QB from Nebraska!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 AM

Welcome from Texas
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Aww, you are so sweet to post such a thoughtful first post! AND you have taken the time to go back through the QB and find all the tasty treasures of information and knowledge contained here. I have been quilting for about 20 years and I still learn stuff from the wonderful folks here. The QB sent me on my LA (longarm quilting machine) journey (didn't even know what a LA was until I joined here.)

I imagine it is only a matter of time before you are able to PIF (pay it forward) and offer some advice or a suggestions to someone else. Welcome to the board Carrie in PA we are happy you are here!

Oh we use tons of acronyms here. This post will probably be helpful to you: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t178507.html
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 AM

Welcome from Michigan! This is the place of the nicest, most helpful people you will ever meet. Everyone is always happy to help no matter what the question/problem might be.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 AM

What a nice note Carrie. I'm glad you found us. I was like you- I spent time reading a lot of posts before I joined about 4 years ago.
The folks on here encouraged me to replicate what I thought at the time was my masterpiece quilt. It turned out even better than the original and I have been learning continuously ever since.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am in awe of so many of the quilts i have seen here and am downright jealous of all of the beautiful scrappies. I want a scrappy so bad but i have to be patient until i have an actual stockpile of scraps.

I don't know how much advice i will be able to give to others but i will at least be able to try and encourage.

There is really no way for me to put into words just how much i appreciate this forum and everyone in it.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 AM

Welcome, Carrie. You're well on your way if you've already read many of the old posts. This Board is a wonderful place to learn and share ideas! Enjoy!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

There is so much to love about this group. I can only imagine the amount of expertise in all of the people here. I am a self taught quilter and have gained so much information by doing just what you did. I just love to read all the helpful comments in the different sections. So glad that you could join us and that you found out so much.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 AM

Have to add another welcome....from a relocated Pennsylvanian. WELCOME....this little QB "town" is populated by some of the kindest, most talented, helpful, creative, etc etc etc ladies and gents you would ever want to meet. We will all be looking forward to seeing your picture posts !!!!