Thread Cones

Old 08-24-2021, 04:04 AM

Default Thread Cones

I decided to use thread that comes on a cone. I bought the vertical thread holder that sits behind my machine but my problem is the cone wobbles. Is there a solution for sticking something in the cone cavity to secure it?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:11 AM

You could use a piece of batting. Do you have the thread guide directly above the cone of thread? I use those thread holders on all my machines and the thread only wobbles if I don't have the guide right above it.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:31 AM

Great idea about the batting. It wobbles the most when winding my bobbins - no matter how slow I set my machine.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:48 AM

Do you have an old spool of thread like the vintage wooden ones that would fit inside? There are some other suggestions at Need to Reduce Thread Core Size specifically on posts #3 & #6

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:04 AM

I stuffed it with an old smaller spool and some batting.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
You could use a piece of batting. Do you have the thread guide directly above the cone of thread? I use those thread holders on all my machines and the thread only wobbles if I don't have the guide right above it.
This makes sense. the thread needs some place to unwind smoothly. Also look at the the rest of the thread path. I have heard of some people taping a paper clip near the top of their machine to add an extra thread guide there. My cones usually do not wobble either. The guide on my thread stand sits several inches above the cone and also above the top of my machine. I do have a thread guide on the top of my machine that feeds the thread to my normal thread path when using a regular spool.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:02 PM

Some people have placed their cones in a heavy coffee up. I agree with others who have an upper thread guide. There's no wobbling for me, when the thread is going up before it is being pulled back down. I have several thread holders and the ones with the heavy bases work the best. If the base is has no weight to it, then the thread doesn't pull straight and the cone stand can fall over. You could probably make your own if you are handy. https://www.amazon.com/Embroidex-Adj...9863658&sr=8-5

This diy one looks pretty good. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE