Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
What machine to get...? >

What machine to get...?

What machine to get...?

Old 02-06-2021, 09:28 AM

Default What machine to get...?

Hi! I am new here and new to quilting. I have an OLD singer- (over 30 years) and I find it a bit clunky when stitching several layers together. I would like to invest in a newer machine. I am kind of between Elna and Necchi for brands. I would like to keep it $500 or under. Any suggestions at all are much appreciated. I would purchase a new machine- or purchase an older one and have it refurbished- I have a great guy for that Do I need computerized or is just the regular machine ok? Please help Thank you!! Kim
Old 02-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Hi and welcome to the board. I just bought two new machines in the last two weeks. The first one is an Elna 360 non computer machine. The other is the one I bought for my daughter, Viking emerald. and also non computer. They both have zigzag stitches. and the different feet. I had to buy the quarter inch foot extra for both of them. The reason I didn't buy two Elnas is I'd have to wait till more machines came in. I didn't want a computerized machine because I don't think I'd use all the things on them. Both machines were on sale for under $500.00. The machine I had to replace for me was a Pfaff that I had for 25 yrs., and nobody could get the parts it needed. Try out different machines where they service them, and will give you good instructions.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:41 AM

Thank you for your reply!! I appreciate it! I googled Elna 360 and nothing came up- just a 320 and 340? Is there more to the name of the one you bought? Thanks again!!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Maybe your old Singer just needs servicing. Personally, I wouldn't go for an computerized machine.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:15 PM

Kim, sorry about number. It is 340. I looked at the reviews before buying, and I like the dealer.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:00 PM

I have a computerized machine but it doesn't do well with lots of layers. For many layers I use my elna grasshopper first (because she is sooooo quiet and I like to listen to tv when sewing), my singer 301 second (more power and super super fast and lightweight, if the Elna gets stuck), and my singer 201 last (will sew through anything). I agree if you want a newer machine you might want to take a trip to your local sewing machine shop, they will go through the features and often have deals available, rather than a big box store. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
I have a computerized machine but it doesn't do well with lots of layers. For many layers I use my elna grasshopper first (because she is sooooo quiet and I like to listen to tv when sewing), my singer 301 second (more power and super super fast and lightweight, if the Elna gets stuck), and my singer 201 last (will sew through anything). I agree if you want a newer machine you might want to take a trip to your local sewing machine shop, they will go through the features and often have deals available, rather than a big box store. Good luck!
Thank you! That is great info
Old 02-17-2021, 12:04 PM

I am a new quilter and am loving my Brother XR3340. It was under $200. It does everything I need for quilting: piecing, free motion quilting, straight line quilting.
Best of luck to you!
Old 02-17-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JDArby View Post
I am a new quilter and am loving my Brother XR3340. It was under $200. It does everything I need for quilting: piecing, free motion quilting, straight line quilting.
Best of luck to you!
Thank you!!! Free motion quilting is next on my list