Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: $$$ for used quilt book on Amazon

Blog Entries

$$$ for used quilt book on Amazon

Just checked Amazon for a pattern book I was interested in. Used priced at nearly $900.00 really, who would pay that much?

If it's hard to find and someone wants it badly enough and has the money, they probably would. There are a couple out of print books that I'd like to have but they are way to pricey for me to buy on Amazon or Alibris so for now I'm just watching used book stores and garage sales and hoping to run across one.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

amazon marketplace prices are only "what they are asking" not what something will sell for.
    Many of those sellers have 1000's of books up and use software to list them, the seller doesn't even look at them. They also have the same inventory listed in a number of venues.

Put a watch on it at Ebay, everything comes up eventually and the hunt is part of the fun.

Many out of print quilt books can now be purchased on Amazon as print on demand. Have heard they are not original quality, don't know, haven't bought one, but certainly a better option than 900 bucks.

You can also put a wanted ad up in the board marketing section, try that first.

What books are you looking for?
    Patsy

Some books are hard to find. I have been looking for a copy of Karen Stone's Quilts forever. I haven't been able to find one anywhere at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Granchris View Post
    Some books are hard to find. I have been looking for a copy of Karen Stone's Quilts forever. I haven't been able to find one anywhere at a reasonable price.
    I have seen hers on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    amazon marketplace prices are only "what they are asking" not what something will sell for.
    Many of those sellers have 1000's of books up and use software to list them, the seller doesn't even look at them. They also have the same inventory listed in a number of venues.

Put a watch on it at Ebay, everything comes up eventually and the hunt is part of the fun.

Many out of print quilt books can now be purchased on Amazon as print on demand. Have heard they are not original quality, don't know, haven't bought one, but certainly a better option than 900 bucks.

You can also put a wanted ad up in the board marketing section, try that first.
    Also, there is a program that ups the price of a book automatically whenever that title is sold anywhere. This was explained to me by a lady who makes her living selling used books.

That's because you're buying it from a third party seller. Ebay is far better for used books as well as independent used book sellers.

Amazon and others have Karen Stone Quilts for $125-149. I wonder why she doesn't republish. EQ Quilt published it originally, as well as produced her EQ7 software. I believe I know the reason for not continuing with Ms. Stone. Unfortunate.

Powell books is another place to check out.

Just curious....which book do you want?
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I was looking at Positively Crazy. Supposedly has a cute Santa block in it. Enjoyed reading everyone’s replies.

2 - 3 years ago Gyleen Fitzgerald's Trash to Treasure was $400 on Amazon but normal price on her website. I asked her when she was at Dallas guild a while back and she said (something like) it was no longer carried by Amazon and she felt the pricing was like a ploy to see if anyone would bite and then they'd start carrying it again.
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

Found it on this website for $45:
    http://store.barnchickquilts.com/sto...sitively-Crazy

Still a pretty steep price for the pattern which is very cute/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterKay View Post
    Found it on this website for $45:
    http://store.barnchickquilts.com/sto...sitively-Crazy

Still a pretty steep price for the pattern which is very cute/
    Thanks QuilterKay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Amazon and others have Karen Stone Quilts for $125-149. I wonder why she doesn't republish. EQ Quilt published it originally, as well as produced her EQ7 software. I believe I know the reason for not continuing with Ms. Stone. Unfortunate.
    Sometimes the author has sold the rights so not up to them to republish
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    Just checked Amazon for a pattern book I was interested in. Used priced at nearly $900.00 really, who would pay that much?
    GOOD GRIEF!! Do they actually THINK we have any money left after buying fabric?? (lol) I'd be looking for a friend with the pattern who was willing to share.. or ?? fill in the blank.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Lololol!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    good grief!! Do they actually think we have any money left after buying fabric?? (lol) i'd be looking for a friend with the pattern who was willing to share.. Or ?? Fill in the blank.

Blog Entries
    might also have been a typo.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I looked for a quilting notion on Amazon one day....the seller would be sending not Amazon. The item was $2.64, the shipping was $100!!! One Hundred..not one dollar. I contacted the seller and asked them why they were charging $100 for shipping. Answer: Because we can. I turned them in to Amazon. Ridiculous what sellers try to get away with.

Etsy.com also sells books. You might try it, I have found a few I wanted there.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

It's not just quilt books - just about any older book I look for on Amazon will have at least one listing in the $900 or so range, when the low end book is selling for under $20.

I keep wondering if it's there for some sort of money laundering scheme -
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I looked for a quilting notion on Amazon one day....the seller would be sending not Amazon. The item was $2.64, the shipping was $100!!! One Hundred..not one dollar. I contacted the seller and asked them why they were charging $100 for shipping. Answer: Because we can. I turned them in to Amazon. Ridiculous what sellers try to get away with.
    Good grief!!!!!!!!! Take about robbing people!

The online market place is a full of crazy pricing techniques.