Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2 Square Quilt tutorial - I love love love this - Want to start a group to do this together? >

2 Square Quilt tutorial - I love love love this - Want to start a group to do this together?

2 Square Quilt tutorial - I love love love this - Want to start a group to do this together?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by martyquilter
This is a cute quilt but yes why cut that cream into all those little pieces... yikes.... but I can see it being a good stash buster, just cut out bunches of 2 1/2 squares.. think it would put a small dent in them at least.....
I was thinking the same thing. Unless you are going to use the long cream strips why not just cut the squares for the entire quilt in different colors. Or instead of cream you could have a neutral mix or something. This would also be a good one for wovern plaids and stripes. But - it seems like the best use of this would be to get fabrics out of the scrap bag - great use for all sorts of small pieces that you would throw out otherwise. I think I am going to start saving pieces big enough for the squares - little by little you could acquire a small square stash.

But - then again - I love the look of this quilt but do I have the time. I think it's good to have these ideas percolating.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
JT

I think to make it quick and easy, use the colored jelly roll, sew in strips, cut at 2 1/2 inches and sew to the cream 2 1/2 inch strip, repeat. You could have it done much faster and easier.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
mac

The look of the quilt is wonderful. I would enjoy doing this pattern. It is easy and it could be a great take-along project to do by hand while waiting for appointments.

I also wondered about using the strips instead of the white squares, because I could see all of the white seams behind the white stip. But then I thought, the seams do give it a definition that the strips would not.

To get the same definition, you would have to do grid quilting. On the other hand, you could do feather quilting in that long white/cream strip, which would change the look of the quilt quite a bit. One would make the quilt look like a long strip quilt like a "Chinese coin" pattern. The grid quilting would make it look like a patchwork quilt.

In any case it is a good scrap buster quilt. Hope this makes sense to everyone.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM

I think the pattern is great, like all the ideas bounced around by everyone. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks - must try this.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM

This looks fun