Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
60* diamond shapes >

60* diamond shapes

60* diamond shapes

Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM

Default 60* diamond shapes

I saw a 6 pointed - side measured 3" - diamond - controlled scrap(two colors each) star quilt, hand pieced and hand quilted at a resale store the other day......with appraisal sheet from AQS attached, $525.00. I know that is a fair price as it was in pristine condition, but......... Can I try doing it......why not......have enough fabric, all I need is how......should I EPP, buying the papers and acrylic template for cutting the fabric, or try inklingo... Has anyone here done hand/machine using inklingo...I am really tempted to try this method of piecing...this might be the project that convinces me......going to try the freebie first...but can't today,watching GD-4 yrs old and I don't want her wandering in my sewing cave.....maybe tomorrow when her mom comes to pick her up......
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like maybe a Lone Star quilt? I have heard that Inklingo pieces do go together nicely as well as English Paper Piecing. If you want it scrappy than you will need to piece them indivually but the Lone Star pattern can be done with strip piecing yardage as well. Watch the bias on your pieces.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Sounds like maybe a Lone Star quilt? I have heard that Inklingo pieces do go together nicely as well as English Paper Piecing. If you want it scrappy than you will need to piece them indivually but the Lone Star pattern can be done with strip piecing yardage as well. Watch the bias on your pieces.

True, but w lone star the end result for each star is a square block,right? These were joined as one does a GFG - this same diamond shape in between........should have taken a pic of it...... I could probably cut the diamonds, both star and fab out of strips using either a template or ruler w/60*angle line, but don't know about machine sewing all those pieces leaving 1/4", whereas w/EPP, it's like hexies...or I understand inklingo marks the back of fab with sewing lines and intersections,so hand or machine sewing has a stop mark. I once tried hand sewing a Joseph's coat......I cannot keep that 1/4" just with my eye....need a line to follow......this is just something I saw and it's construction fascinated me......it will pass.......
Old 01-19-2015, 05:35 AM

Oh don't give up yet!! Yes you should try. It might be a longer process than you're thinking so relax and enjoy the journey! I started a 2" 60* 6-diamond star quilt 2 years ago. I'm half finished because I have a busy life and only work on it some nights and especially in the winter. It brings peace to me to get to work on it! For the 2" (which makes a nice-sized star), I cut 2 and 1/4" strips and use 60*angle line on my ruler to cut 6 diamonds. I use Paper Pieces paper diamonds to baste around, then whip stitch 3 together twice. Then I stitch the 2 halves together. I'm a confessed OCD and could not imagine machine sewing this stuff!! Good luck--it's not hard, just handsewing!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 AM

I've made hundreds of these stars using mylar templates from http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com. My first quilt had over 200 stars. I used 1 1/2 inch pieces. The mylar pops right out after you finish stitching around all 4 sides and are reusable over and over again. This is a link to my Queen sized quilt http://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999451918434/

I have another that is ready for borders, and have started a third. So much fun, and a great take along project.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 AM

I do think I want to hand piece, if I decide to pursue this....I am doing hexies with PaperPieces.com help.....using their acrylic template for fab too.....so, before I create another UFO...I better put the GFG together, wind up the cathedral window challenge...then think about diamond stars........thanks for encouragement and pic......am going to peek into inklingo too, just to see........
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM

I have Brandy,s templates also I like them for that reason that there a hole in the center
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Ok, I did an experiment yesterday......found my diamond template/ruler, used the $ store flexi cutting sheets( thanks to whomever here for that info), and cut 6 plastic patis 2" diamonds...then did the same with cardstock( paper piece), then cut the fab pieces.......and proceeded to assemble. I am now convinced I will invest in the PaperPieces/glue baste method- easier, faster than thread basting,and so much easier to sew pieces together.........my challenge is going to be sewing that center right when joining the two halves.....will watch Sue Davey tute...she's great.....now I wish my GO had a die for cutting fab....oh well will buy the acrylic template from PaperPieces.com too......