Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
AccuQuilt Studio Cutter & a ? >

AccuQuilt Studio Cutter & a ?

AccuQuilt Studio Cutter & a ?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 AM

I am slowly trying to get most of the strip cutters, as I can cut many shapes from them. I have the 8"block, the school house, some triangles, the chisel, 1 3/4, 2 1/2, 3, and 5 inch strip dies. I've only used the school house die for a table runner and the 2 1/2 strips for sashings and borders. I used the 1 3/4 for tree trunks and one of the triangles for the tree tops. I embroidered the couples name and the date their home was established. It really turned out cute.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 AM

Do you find the chisel worth buying.Another poster said after buying it, she could cut the ends off of cut strips for same thing?

Originally Posted by mswings
I am slowly trying to get most of the strip cutters, as I can cut many shapes from them. I have the 8"block, the school house, some triangles, the chisel, 1 3/4, 2 1/2, 3, and 5 inch strip dies. I've only used the school house die for a table runner and the 2 1/2 strips for sashings and borders. I used the 1 3/4 for tree trunks and one of the triangles for the tree tops. I embroidered the couples name and the date their home was established. It really turned out cute.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:16 AM

[quote=plainpat]Do you find the chisel worth buying.Another poster said after buying it, she could cut the ends off of cut strips for same thing?

I got the chisel very cheap from eBay and thought later I should learn what I can do with strips after I saw Alex and Ricky turning the strip sideways (45 degree angle).

But that is why I am seeking out people that have one....and thanks for the great tips so far!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by dmyers
i have the accuquilt studio and use my 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 strip dies the most. i have the 12" and 8" block set, but i don't use it as much as i thought i would. some dies are still wrapped and i've had them for two years. i did go through a phase with my tumbler die but now i use my take 5 die a lot. i have the hearts and flowers for applique but not patient enough to do applique.
i'm always looking to add more to my inventory!
I see the take 5 is on sale right now....hmmmmm wonder if I should get that. I wondered about the 12 inch block set too. I just ordered one heart! I like the alphabets but wow they are pricey so not right now!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by magpiefeather
Originally Posted by dmyers
i have the accuquilt studio and use my 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 strip dies the most. i have the 12" and 8" block set, but i don't use it as much as i thought i would. some dies are still wrapped and i've had them for two years. i did go through a phase with my tumbler die but now i use my take 5 die a lot. i have the hearts and flowers for applique but not patient enough to do applique.
i'm always looking to add more to my inventory!
I see the take 5 is on sale right now....hmmmmm wonder if I should get that. I wondered about the 12 inch block set too. I just ordered one heart! I like the alphabets but wow they are pricey so not right now!
the take five is fun and fast. i wanted the alphabets too but bought the cricut to cut my letters, you can change sizes from 1/2" to 5 1/2" you do it the same as the studio iron on the wonder under and applique. i wanted to spend my money on dies i use all the time and i don't want to store all the letters.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 AM

As I go along I'm getting a better picture and I'm OK so far with what I got. The take five is currently popular but the sizes it cuts would always be usable.
Trying not to be overwhelmed with it and just have fun. After the weekend I'll set it up hopefully and try it out. I wondered did any of you color your blades silver?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by magpiefeather
As I go along I'm getting a better picture and I'm OK so far with what I got. The take five is currently popular but the sizes it cuts would always be usable.
Trying not to be overwhelmed with it and just have fun. After the weekend I'll set it up hopefully and try it out. I wondered did any of you color your blades silver?
i outline less than 1/4" around the blade, just to know where to line my fabric straight. i use a silver sharpie, it doesn't rub off on the fabric. you could join the yahoo group and see videos to help with using your dies and you can see what others have done using their dies also. enjoy!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Pat I got the chisel on sale before I bought the strip cutters. I think you would be able to use the strip cutters for many other shapes. But I don't think they have strip cutters in every size. I don't mind trimming the strip into another shape as long as I only have to trim once, ie. one edge to make the chisel shape. I fiqure I can make squares from the strip cutters I have.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks. I don't have many dies yet....what came with it, the 2 1/2" strip & 3 1/2" & 4 1/2" HSTs.I want to see what I can do with what I have.Don't want to buy dies that are used once or twice. Too $$ for that..

Originally Posted by mswings
Pat I got the chisel on sale before I bought the strip cutters. I think you would be able to use the strip cutters for many other shapes. But I don't think they have strip cutters in every size. I don't mind trimming the strip into another shape as long as I only have to trim once, ie. one edge to make the chisel shape. I fiqure I can make squares from the strip cutters I have.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I now have an Aqququilt Go cutter, so will be cutting my own.Triangles & strips were 1st on my list.Next is the chisel die.

"What size & or shape would you want cut if you could have it cut easily like this?"
I have the Accuquilt GO cutter also, my first favorite was the larger tumbler die, and my second favorite was the chisel die. Loved both of these. I have several of the die as well as some applique dies. Love the machine.