Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Another Flying Geese method >

Another Flying Geese method

Another Flying Geese method

Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EllenwoodGa View Post
I watched the tut. on the flying geese, and I thiink it's a great idea. My problem is that I have no idea what the measurements are for the rectangles and the squares. I understand that they can be made different sizes,but where do I start,or is that something that I should know?
The size for me would depend on the look I want to achieve in the quilt, and how many I want to make. They can be made in so many sizes, I couldn't just give one size I could use.

I think it would be faster for me to chain piece them and put them together, rather than to sew one piece on the strip each time like in the video.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Looks like she should put that iron on her right side of the machine. That getting up and down to press would wear me out.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 AM

I guess it is just me and my blonde moment... but I dont see this is much time savings than the traditional way... and I agree with Rose_P sounds like alot of little stray/wasted pieces... I love the idea of making the little HST ......

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I have done this, which is about the same as you make them if you use the foundation paper piecing method, as far as the continuous piecing. If you do it this way with the squares and rectangles, you wind up with a lot of little stray (possibly wasted bits). I saw a suggestion somewhere (very likely on Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville) that you can make a second seam a half inch away before snipping off the triangles, and what falls away is a little HST block, which could be much more useful than a bunch of triangles with open bias edges that tend to get stretched before you'd get around to using them. It takes longer, but you can think of it as working on two quilts at the same time. Or they might make a great border on the flying geese quilt.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by EllenwoodGa View Post
I watched the tut. on the flying geese, and I thiink it's a great idea. My problem is that I have no idea what the measurements are for the rectangles and the squares. I understand that they can be made different sizes,but where do I start,or is that something that I should know?
I wondered about size too, so I scrolled down to read some of the comments, and one lady said if you want a 6" x 3" flying geese to cut your rectangle 6 and 1/2" x 3 and 1/2" and the square 3 and 1/2".
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
This is the easiest method for making geese and no waste.
I've viewed this video and it seems so slow. JMHO
I like the looks of this way too, made a copy of it. Haven't tried either one yet though! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 PM

I can't wait to see if Joanne's has one of those angler rulers to go on the sewing machine. Connecting threads carry them but there is postage and I have a 50% coupon for Joanne's
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM

I got tired watching her get up and down so much - it hurt my back and I was sitting still!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Thank you for posting this pdf... I had the instructions at one time... I saved this so I can easily find it when I need it.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
This is the easiest method for making geese and no waste.
I've viewed this video and it seems so slow. JMHO
Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I also got tired just watching her get up and down to iron after each & every seam. I think I'll stick with the No-Waste Flying Geese method I learned years ago. I also think her pressing method would stretch out the fabric. Press--not iron--up & down--no side to side.