Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Back Basting Hand Applique >

Back Basting Hand Applique

Back Basting Hand Applique

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM

I love this method
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Thank you! I haven't tried hand applique yet but this doesn't look too bad. Looking for a new "train" activity for my commute....
Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks for posting...I'm always looking to improve my applique skills. I had never heard of back basted applique until I signed up for a Jo Morton class in 2010....unfortunately she had to back out of the class ...but I did a bit of reading on the method.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I love this method. I learned it when I was making my Baby Jane...its great for the smaller pieces!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM

I do a lot of applique and this is the way I do it. It is sooooo much easier and quicker. Eliminates all the tracing and making of templates. Give it a try and hope you like it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 AM

I could not get the hang of this, I think when I tried it, it was a too complicated pattern. I like the "in you face" method where the pattern is applied to the right side of the fabric with water erasable pen and then pieces are traced on freezer paper. It really doesn't take me long to set up a block and when I have all my pieces I can take it anywhere. I don't cut my freezer paper templates out, I just iron the whole thing to fabric and then add 1/8" when I cut them out...saves time. may have to try this method with simpler pattern again
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Here is another excellent tutorial for back-basting. Go to www.appleblossomquilts.com/tips. She has the best tutorial that I have found on back basting. She also tells how to line a patch so the background won't show through. And how to use Glad's Press N' Seal for dark backgrounds. She came to our guild and taught a class with these techniques and I learned so much, even though I had been doing back-basting for several years. I use a Sanford Pigma pen(usually brown) to mark the lines on the back and I hope that they go through to the front a little too, as I can see the line to follow. If the lines don't show enough on the front, I sometimes go over them again on the front, sure makes it easy to needle turn and follow the pattern exactly. Hope you like the tutorials, they are excellent.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM

I think this tutorial was very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Carmen
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM

what a great "tute", thanks for sharing.
Michelle G. in El Paso
Old 02-23-2011, 08:08 AM

If you subscribe to the Apple Blossom Quilt newsletter, she always has a free pattern but you can only get it if you subscribe. Last year she had a really nice pieced and appliqued BOM. I saved it but haven't made it yet. Also, for more experienced applique, here is a link to appliquing multiple layers. Very good. http://decafplease.wordpress.com/bac...ultiple-layer. She also has a tutorial on single layer that is really good. This blog is now longer current so I would suggest printing this as I don't know how long it will be there. Can you tell that I am an applique fan?