Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: BBC Programme The Singer Story

BBC Programme The Singer Story

Don't know if any can watch BBC programmes in other countries, but tomorrow (Wed 8th) the BBC is showing a 1 hour long programme,The Singer Story, Made in Clydebank.
    At one time the Clydebank factory at Kilbowie (the K on your model number) was the largest factory in the world.
    Enjoy it if you can.
    I live in Scotland, and have 7 vintage singers, so guess what i will be doing.

Janice

Thanks for that! I am in France but have UK freesat so I'll be watching too!

Blog Entries
    it sounds very interesting, but I don't get BBC on my lineup.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm in the USA and our Uverse doesn't include BBC Scotland. I did find the web link below to this program, so I'm hoping the full program might be available via internet after it airs in Scotland tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00051z7

I would love to watch it! Hopefully the website BonnieJP shared will have it for us Americans!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I would love to see it! Just have to remember to come back to the link after tomorrow and see if it's there!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I was curious if YouTube had any videos about the history of Singer sewing machines. There are a few documentaries available at the link below, although not the soon to be aired documentary on the Clydebank factory. I'm going to watch a couple of these anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=singer+sewing+machine+history

Thanks BonnieJP for the link - I just pulled it up in my iPad and hope to watch sometime soon. We only get BBCAmerica on this side of the Pond (North Carolina, USA) so miss lots of the really cool English programs. I have a 99K so am really interested in learning about Clydebank. As a nite completely,off-topic - my husband (and my) last name is Bruce and he claims a direct descent from Robert the Bruce������ which is impossible. I tell him that but he still believes it.

It looks very interesting. I saw a show many years ago about the history of the sewing machine and would love to see it again. After following the QB all these years and learning so much from the QB the information in the show would be even more interesting.

I watched the National Library of Scotland YouTube video on the operations of the Clydebank factory. No narrative, but the music was nice and they did have subtitles explaining some of what was going on. Once you get past the first 8 minutes or so, they show the actual manufacturing process. It was Very interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMxwy8CLkw
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-08-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    In the US many folks can get BBC America. Check if you have Roku, Sling TV, several of the cable companies or find it online. I find that it is one of my most watched channels. Not sure if this program is on it, but I will be checking as soon as I get home! Sounds very interesting.

Thanks for that Appin. I live in Herefordshire, and had a bit of a trawl to find the channel number down here! I look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    In the US many folks can get BBC America. Check if you have Roku, Sling TV, several of the cable companies or find it online. I find that it is one of my most watched channels. Not sure if this program is on it, but I will be checking as soon as I get home! Sounds very interesting.
    I was hoping for this too. But BBCA in my area doesn't have it. Bummer. I will be checking out your link now, BonnieJP. Thanks for posting it.

Also, I may check out Acorn....

Just watched it, really enjoyable too. Lovely interviews with some of the women and men who worked there, and a little segment about 'Tools For Self-Reliance' and how some hand cranks are refurbished and sent to Accra. Lovely to watch the girls use the machines, and gain independent lives.

The website shows that the program is now available for viewing on the internet, but won't let me in because I'm not in the UK. Some sort of problem with "rights issues". Oh well. . . .

Blog Entries
    can you try getting into yahooUK? then trying the site...
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman