Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt

That is why Bonnie does big quilts, they use up scraps faster. But my problem is that I made two crumb quilt tops and (lap size) and a lap size boxy star and now a lap size chunky churn dash and I still have not put a dent in my stash of scraps...

I guess I am not making the quilts large enough.. My scraps keep growing. Each time I cut for a quilt or cut for a border, my scraps keep growing.... I guess I need to work faster...

I'm game! Never did a mystery quilt, but have plenty of stash. This will be my "free" entertainment project for this winter. No pattern or fabric to buy!

I'm planning on doing this quilt. I haven't gathered my fabrics, yet, but I think I will be doing that later today since it's only 5 more days until the first clue :D I love Bonnie's quilts!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    She explains on the link I provided how her instructions will be posted Her only rule is no whining. I like that!
    I am going through the Quilting Board digests and just found this notice/thread ... along with another one.
    I am going to do this, but I am really depending on all of you to remind me through this thread that Miss Bonnie has posted another clue - - I do not do surfing, except through this site, and well - - the excuses go on and on.
    Looking forward to "working" with y'all <wave>

Here is an excerpt from her website.... Looks like there will be a clue every week.

"The first clue will be posted Friday, November 19th! It's loaded, and scheduled to go live on my blog, Quiltville's Quips & Snips, in the wee small hours of the morning!

I have it set to release there as I will be out of town and unable to update my website remotely, but I can plan posts and pre-date them on the blog so they will post when I need them to! ((Ah, the wonders of the internet! Gotta love it!))

Be sure to check back every Friday through the rest of November and December for each next clue untl the Mystery is complete!"
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Her Double Delight Mystery has been my favorite so far. It's beautiful in the colors she choose. I did the Christmas Lights mystery too. Also a beautiful quilt. Her patterns are so easy to throw in just about any scrap fabric you have.

Blog Entries
    Part 1 is posted. Let's get rolling!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

Will do as soon as I get home from work. Gotta win the Lottery some day!!! :(

Quote Originally Posted by ranger

Got the directions printed out. Does not look too bad for the 1st week - just a lot of strip piecing and cutting!

Thanks, I saw it on Facebook. 8-)

THANK YOU!
    I remembered Friday was the day, and this morning, while out watering the cattle, I thought - - I need to check on that when I get back to the house ...
    well ... things are a bit different out here at the ranch, and it is: the loudest, most demanding gets the attention.
    Had you not posted to the thread, Lord only knows when I would have thought of it again, but I would probably win the bet if I said - - the next time would be out somewhere far and away from the bunkhouse.
    Thank you, again!
    I just have one question ... why does it have to be pink???? IHATE pink ... will think on this awhile, because truth be told - - as much as I hate it, I seem to find it all through my stash ...
    oh! what to do, what to do???? and, wherever DID I put the green that I am not too fond of either! LOL
    (we all have our little problems, don't we? :wink: <wave>

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    THANK YOU!
    I remembered Friday was the day, and this morning, while out watering the cattle, I thought - - I need to check on that when I get back to the house ...
    well ... things are a bit different out here at the ranch, and it is: the loudest, most demanding gets the attention.
    Had you not posted to the thread, Lord only knows when I would have thought of it again, but I would probably win the bet if I said - - the next time would be out somewhere far and away from the bunkhouse.
    Thank you, again!
    I just have one question ... why does it have to be pink???? IHATE pink ... will think on this awhile, because truth be told - - as much as I hate it, I seem to find it all through my stash ...
    oh! what to do, what to do???? and, wherever DID I put the green that I am not too fond of either! LOL
    Omak, use any color combination that you want, just make sure you have four different ones. :thumbup:

THANK YOU!
    Thank you, again!
    See, it was meant to be! This is a great way to use up all of that pink in your stash so you can get fabric that you love!!!

THANK YOU!
    Thank you, again!
    I'm not a fan of pink and green together as it seems little girlish to me. But, I'm game and if I don't love it when I'm done it will make a nice gift for someone. And my collection of scraps will (fingers crossed) be a lot smaller.

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement!
    I like how you figured out that I just needed four different color families. It seems simple enough to figure out, but I just hadn't taken time to figure it out.
    As far as making a dent in scrap stash - - don't believe it! <g> I have been at scrap reduction for a long time, and when I get on a roll, they seem to breed! LOL
    I should say that I do like two shades of color in those families - - electric pink with electric green, but it has to be just right the right shade of each, and wouldn't you know? I own neither!
    I do like the idea that it was meant to be, though - - if you knew how much pink I have given away and then end up finding another big bunch of it, no one would believe how much I dislike the color.
    Do you suppose I am delusional??? LOL <wave>

Blog Entries
    Part #2 is posted.
    I haven't got Part 1 started yet!!!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...ll-part-2.html

Thank you for the reminder. Instructions found and printed out and placed in the notebook I created for the purpose.
    Thank goodness I own a LOT of plastic sleeves and Staples' 10 cent folders. <wave>

Thanks. I'm finishing up Par 1 now. Of course I seem to be making more scraps than using!!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Thanks. I'm finishing up Par 1 now. Of course I seem to be making more scraps than using!!
    see???? it is the personality of the beast, I do believe! LOL
    However, those really aren't scraps - - they are seeds for the next scrap quilts you are going to make ;-) <wave>

I'm about 90% through part 2. Just a helpful tip. I used the printable, 3" finished half square triangle sheets from http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml to make it very fast and easy. And best of all-very accurate.

Part #2 is posted.
    I haven't got Part 1 started yet!!!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...ll-part-2.html
    Thanks for the link. I printed it before I left for the black friday sales. I will put them in a plastic sleeve, since I am not done with part 1 yet. 8-)

Be careful with Part 2, ladies. It's not just 120 HST units; it's 30 sets of 4 HST units. I almost missed that they are to be in sets of 4, presumably to be pinwheels or some other variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    Be careful with Part 2, ladies. It's not just 120 HST units; it's 30 sets of 4 HST units. I almost missed that they are to be in sets of 4, presumably to be pinwheels or some other variation.
    I actually did sets of 8 as my HST paper makes 8 per sheet. But yes, I noticed they need to be in sets! Thanks for the reminder to those who missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    I HATE cautions! <g> They always scare me because I have a habit of thinking I know what I am doing and then find out that I knew what I was doing, but it was WRONG!
    So, I had to go back and read all the instructions.
    I couldn't figure out where the caution came in until I went up to the very top of the page.
    instruction: 30 rectangles of pink + 30 rectangles of brown, cut into 3.5"x 9" = 30 sets of FOUR HSTs ...
    If the strip pieces are 3.5" x 2 - - I am thinking 9patches with HST in between (like in jewel box or Jacob's ladder) ...
    any other guesses?
    oh, and am I on the right track for part 2?
    And, did you notice that on her website there is another quilt being offered (Christmas Lights) ... it is a reprint from a magazine piece she did. It will be presented in three pieces and looks like a great quilt - - something for your next project, perhaps? <wave>

I'm in on this one too. I changed my colors to green and blue and I'm only halfway done with part 1. By the sound of it I better catch up! Thanks for the tip on part 2. I'm going to try to get up to speed today.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast