Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Check this out on Facebook >

Check this out on Facebook

Check this out on Facebook

Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 AM

Default PA & NY Row by Row Promotion

Originally Posted by PensyDutch View Post
You might be interested in what Pennsylvania is advertising on Face book to encourage those interested in quilting to visit their state this summer. Sounds great, doesn't it? I found it on Facebook under: Pennsylvania Row by Row Quilt Shop Hop. Enjoy.
NY has had the Row by Row project for a few years now. It was started by the owner of Calico Gals (Janet) in Syracuse NY. I think NY had almost 70 shops participating last year. The challenge is to collect the free patterns of 8 different rows, put them together in a finished quilt and take it to a store that hasn't yet awarded their 25 FQs. Yes, every store that offers a free row pattern offers a prize of 25 FQs to the first person who brings in a finished quilt. If you watch the FB page, you will see the pictures of the finished tops from the participating shops. The are wonderful!

https://www.facebook.com/NYSRowbyRow
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
DITTO!! ... and i am beginning to resent the fact that our beloved world of quilting has decided that we quilters are ALL facebook mentalities
I didn't know there was a Facebook mentality. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family all over the country as do all my family and friends. So, what exactly is a Facebook mentality?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 AM

Thank you for posting this link, I just might have to "hop" over to PA since the border is only an hour away. It's always fun to find new places to visit. I am a major fan of both FB and Pinterest and I don't understand why it is so terrible that companies use all the tools they have to reach their audience? It is no different than choosing between using newspaper ads or email newsletters. Most places use all of them that they can afford. It just so happens that using FB is much cheaper than a print ad, and doesn't use paper.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Will have to check it out.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Ditto..Ditto...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
I do not use Facebook OR Twitter
If you have a computer, I don't know why you wouldn't. You don't have to put on anything you don't want to share, but more and more businesses are using it, and apparently PA tourism is one of them. Lots of good offers are on Facebook, plus I've reconnected with so many friends I had lost track of over the years. Give it a try!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
DITTO!! ... and i am beginning to resent the fact that our beloved world of quilting has decided that we quilters are ALL facebook mentalities
What on earth is " a Facebook mentality"? Someone who keeps up with the times and uses current technology to keep in touch with friends, avails themselves of good shopping opportunities or learns about the world? I really don't want to turn into one of those " you kids get off my lawn" old people, so I'm trying to not get lost in the technological dust! (Just for a time frame benchmark - we had one static-y black and white console TV, one big black corded phone in the house with a party line,and if you wanted to contact someone in another part of the world, you wrote a letter!) And if we want to pass on "our beloved world of quilting " to the next generation, Facebook and blogging will be right in the thick of it! Just something to consider .....
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Thank You . I love going on shop hops. I live in N.Y. but close to Pa. so I can visit several. Its also nice to see them on facebook. Sometimes its the only way we know about shops not in our area.
PS---I use facebook but don't think I have a facebook mentality whatever that is. Its a nice way to connect with people you don't visit everyday as well of finding info. such as this.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

If you don't want to use Facebook then don't. But lots of us do... so please don't put us down as "Facebook Mentalities". It's a nice way to keep up with family and friends when they live too far away to see them often.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM

There are never fees for shop hops because they are counting on you visiting each shop listed, to collect a pattern or whatever their gimmick is, enter for give-a-ways and door prizes and , yes, shop shop shop at each stop. There is sometimes a shop hop quilt with each shop offering their own kits with their own fabric/colorways for you to buy. They are fun, but very expensive when you add up the cost of the gas for the travel, the expense of all the shopping that you do.