Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Craftsy New Way to Watch

Red face Craftsy New Way to Watch

Hi there, All: someone posted an article some time ago about Craftsy making some changes to the business, I wanted to share with that I received an email regarding membership for free 14-day trial and after that if you don't cancel will be $14.99 month, the trial is membership.craftsy.com.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I'm a member and didn't receive this email. Maybe it applies to new members only?

Blog Entries
    I received an e-mail a couple of months ago that Craftsy had a new owner. This may be one of the changes to the site. I was sorry to hear about this change because I use Craftsy a lot.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

14.99 a MONTH??? That's $180.00 a year! To watch Craftsy classes?

That's not going to happen.

Are you still going to be able to buy individually?

I guess I'd better get the ones I want before they switch over.

Watson

i didn't get an email yet but i heard about the monthly membership a few months ago, where you can watch any of the classes they offer with the membership, but you can still watch the classes you already purchased w/o the membership i wonder too if you still can buy individually, craftsy now offers an option to buy the class dvd pretty pricy i think.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

I'm a Craftsy fan-girl (I have purchased lots of classes) but even I think their DVD prices are utterly ridiculous. AND if you are purchasing a DVD of a class you already own, it shouldn't cost more than an extra $10, in my opinion. The DVDs cost pennies to produce.

I had no idea they had been bought out by someone. Any info on what company purchased them?

Watson: yes you can still purchase individual courses and I still receive the emails for with sale prices the membership is under craftsy: membership and the individual courses are under the old site. I seem to look at craftsy more than the other sites I was paying for, so I did not renew membership with QNNTV, The Quilt Show, National Sewing/Quilting, and many more that I was signed up with. This works for me while at retreats I can watch any and all courses.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

DonnaC: do a search in the threads another quilter shared the information with us she saw the article in an email newsletter and it gave a lot information, then other quilter shared what they have read and posted the link to the articles.
    Vontina Collick

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread...I get a lot of emails from Craftsy for both classes and kits but I had no idea they sold. I will keep my eyes open for upcoming changes. Thanks for the update.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I received the email and I chatted with a Craftsy person. She said you don't have to do the membership. If you have already gotten classes you can continue to watch them and also continue to buy classes but it has to be at the www.craftsy.com website. They even sent me an email back with the complete conversation and then a survey. I sure didn't want a membership after I have all but one or two of the quilting classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbfrog View Post
    Hi there, All: someone posted an article some time ago about Craftsy making some changes to the business, I wanted to share with that I received an email regarding membership for free 14-day trial and after that if you don't cancel will be $14.99 month, the trial is membership.craftsy.com.

Here is a link to the notification I received: http://link.craftsy.com/view/592f1b7...1lbso/a6e101e2 Sorry, looks like you will have to copy and paste to use it.

14.99 a MONTH??? That's $180.00 a year! To watch Craftsy classes?
    Quilt classes cost about $60-$65 per class at my quilt guild or LQS with a well know quilt teacher. Factor in loading and unloading sewing supplies, driving cost, and time. Three classes a year is more then $180. So to me $180 isn't sticker shock. In fact it's down right reasonable to have as many quilt classes as I want when ever I want.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 10-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I first I thought $180 a year? No way! but reading Onebyone's reasoning I have to agree it is sticker shock at first but when you think of what a class costs with national teachers then it's a bargain. The last quilt class I took was $70 for one day class and this is the average for most well known instructors. The class is over and I have no way to re take the class for free whenever I want to. I know I won't remember much about the class a few months later.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 10-24-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I understand the math as evaluated by Onebyone. I own a lot of Craftsy classes and they haven't been add quilting classes very often in the last 9 months or so and when they do, I am not interested because it's beginner library etc. So my math evaluation would also factor in whether there are going to be new classes, otherwise I own the ones I want.
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

When they made the original announcement I emailed them to find out if they were going to drop their fabric/kits and only do classes. They said they will continue to have fabric/kits which pleased me because I am more interested in that than classes. As an aside, I don't like Fabric.com as much since Amazon bought them. Why can't things stay the same??
    ​Jumpin' Judy

I read the information in this link and down at the very bottom it's obvious NBC acquired Craftsy. I had read somewhere that NBC was trying to acquire them so I guess the deal happened.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    My internet access is not always good so I wish I could download the classes to my desktop or better yet to a stick so I could watch them when wi-do not available.