Cute watch band tutorial

Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Cute watch band tutorial

I'm allergic to most metals especially the buckles on watch bands and the stem on the watch. Not allergic to the back of the watch which is usually stainless steel. Think I will make me a couple of these but use the Velcro for closures since I can have the snaps touching either.

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2010/10...tch-bands.html

If you know of other neat watch band tutorials please post their links.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Very cute - like that idea! like that watch too!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM

I can certainly sympathize with you, as I too am allergic to bands, I have to have an all stainless stell watch and band. Not easy to find and can get expensive. The one I wear now I purchased several years ago from QVC- wasn't cheap, but it definitely wears well for me. That is a cute tute, may make some for some of dd watches. Be sure to show your finished products.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. My brother cannot find watch bands to fit. I will try this for him.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM

What a great idea! I have really large wrists but small hands. Most watchbands don't fit me. This will be a great replacement for them. Thanks for sharing the site.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM

My oldest son has a very small wrist( he had kidney disease that affected his growth) almost a lady 's size so most watch bands on him are too big so it is a good thing to know I caould make hime one. He asked for a velcro watch band for Christmas.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM

I have the same problem you have. I have found that Sally Hayden Hard as nails polish will coat the buckle and stems. Be carful to point the stem down to the floor when you polish it. This will last about 2 weeks and then you will have to recoat the surfaces.
Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I'm allergic to most metals especially the buckles on watch bands and the stem on the watch. Not allergic to the back of the watch which is usually stainless steel. Think I will make me a couple of these but use the Velcro for closures since I can have the snaps touching either.

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2010/10...tch-bands.html

If you know of other neat watch band tutorials please post their links.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM

You're welcome!

Jarenie - I used to use nail polish to coat metal jewelry. When I was a teen, a co-workers husband (who was Navaho) made all of the women a copper bangle bracelet. I wanted to wear it so I kept coating the inside with nail polish.

I have to be careful of clothes too. I remember a sweater that I thought the yarn at first was just shiny turned out to have some type of metal in it - boy was that itchy! I had a nice pair of expensive jeans that had metal rivets around the pockets and also the belt loops. Only wore them one time. I had little round sores for a couple of weeks. (This was when I was a teenager.) Now I have a habit of looking closely at clothes especially ones with snaps.

Also had my ears pierced more than I care to remember. First time I was only 12 and did not realize I was allergic (I was a tomboy). Dad's girlfriend decided to play mother and pierced my ears without asking my Dad first. She accused me of not doctoring my ears 3 times a day. I tried to tell her that it was more like 10 times a day! She wouldn't listen to me or my Dad. Dad got mad and they broke up after that. Well, one good thing came out of that!
I have tried surgical steel, hypoallergenic steel, yellow gold, white gold. The only thing I can wear is string. I would soak the string in alcohol and rotate it through the ears until they healed, then tried the different jewelry - no good. I can wear an expensive gold wedding band - DH says it's Italian gold and does not use nickel - which is probably the culprit in the other metals.

I've heard of people having to wear gloves because they can't even touch a door knob - glad that I'm not that bad!