Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting Corners

mac

Cutting Corners

Here is a YouTube video from Jordan Fabrics regarding a new Fabric from Moda. I was not only impressed with the pattern, but also with the way her husband cut the fabric. He used an 8 pound weight to keep the ruler from sliding when cutting the long pieces of fabric. I think that is pretty clever.

https://jordanfabrics.com/products/c...atik-leap-frog

The video is at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by mac; 09-10-2018 at 09:01 AM.

I just recently watched one of their videos and saw Donna use a 5lb weight on her ruler and thought that was a good idea too :-)

Well I just had a Duh moment!! What a great use for those bar bells that are just gathering dust!! I can cut my fabric and strengthen my biceps at the same time
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Well I just had a Duh moment!! What a great use for those bar bells that are just gathering dust!! I can cut my fabric and strengthen my biceps at the same time
    .............. and we can tell everyone that we just did our workout!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mac
    Oh, too funny...

This reminds me of a gift I got from a quilting friend a while back. She gave me a wooden block. What do you do with a wooden block? The card that came with it said, "When you need to exercise, just put this on the floor, and walk around it -- and now you have walked around the block."
    Last edited by mac; 09-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Oh, too funny...

This reminds me of a gift I got from a quilting friend a while back. She gave me a wooden block. What do you do with a wooden block? The card that came with it said, "When you need to exercise, just put this on the floor, and walk around it -- and now you have walked around the block."
    Priceless!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What a hoot! I love your exercise ideas!

And I love that tute and the fabric! I have some striped fabric like that so whenever I can find it, I'll try it. Remember, I'm the little old lady with a gigantic truck load of fabric all mixed up in bins, totes, baskets, shelves, stacks on the floor.... It may take a year of two to find that striped fabric...

I also saw them use the weight and have started doing same. Really helped me...

Blog Entries
    I have two 3lb bar bells that I have used for a long, long time to hold to long ruler in place from slipping. Believe me, they work great.

My weights are two old antique irons. The weigh about 5 pounds each. It is amazing how often I use them. I am so old that I remember my grandmother using them back in the day when sliced bread came in waxed wrappers. She used the empty bags to make her iron slide easier by running it over the bread wrappers. She also used more than 1 iron; she kept swapping them out as they grew too cool to use. ( This was out in the country when we did not have electricity). A side note: My uncle was electrocuted at age 18 because the power company stringing the power lines left a live wire on the ground. My granfdather then prohibited the company from crossing his vast property, so the folks who lived beyone him did not have electricity until several years later.

Blog Entries
    Great idea...especially like the old iron usage...quite the "paper" weight!

Interesting take on past technology carolynjo!

Thanks for the laughs, too, folks.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

After watching them with their weights, I started using my antique heavy old fashioned irons as weights.
    Carol

That is SO cool! Thanks for sharing!

Whaddaya mean gathering dust?!? I dust them off all the time!

Blog Entries
    My husband and I were going through some old kitchen stuff he inherited from his parents. I came across a heavy flat object that I think is a bacon press. I use it to flatten seams while ironing and also to hold down lengths of fabric while measuring and cutting. Wish I had a few more of these.

I too watched the video and Loved the fabric, pattern and also using the weight. Since I have some weights in the bottom of a closet that I don't use, this would be a good use for them. I definitely am going to try this pattern and fabric.....so easy and so simple!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Janjang, could you post a picture of the bacon press? Thanks.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
    My husband and I were going through some old kitchen stuff he inherited from his parents. I came across a heavy flat object that I think is a bacon press. I use it to flatten seams while ironing and also to hold down lengths of fabric while measuring and cutting. Wish I had a few more of these.
    That is a great idea for the bacon press. Another quilter was doing the same thing to flatten her seams, and I decided to find the one that I have. Unfortunately, it has a pig engraved on it. I never used it fearing that I would have a 'big fat pig' embossed on all my blocks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That is a great idea for the bacon press. Another quilter was doing the same thing to flatten her seams, and I decided to find the one that I have. Unfortunately, it has a pig engraved on it. I never used it fearing that I would have a 'big fat pig' embossed on all my blocks.
    Too funny, mac!

and that wooden block just might come in handy for quilting. Use it like a tailors clapper, but for your finished quilt block to make in nice and flat...no worries about "a big fat pig" embossing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

After I saw one of their videos, I bot an 8lb hand weight. It works like a dream.

This is such a great idea using weights on ruler why didn't I think of this!
    granna of 5

i saw this too i don't have weights "yet" but i used a pickle jar full of change and that worked very well.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    After I saw one of their videos, I bot an 8lb hand weight. It works like a dream.
    I did, too. But, just today, I bought some more of their rainbow fabric to make the 'cutting corners', pattern. So, now I have the weight to use. Let's see if I can do as good a job on cutting as they did. I am always annoyed, just as I get to the end of a long cut, no matter how hard I hold it, my ruler always shifts a little bit.