Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Double.   Wedding ring >

Double. Wedding ring

Double. Wedding ring

Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I did do my own pattern on graph paper after failing to find it in my internet searches. I would have purchased the paper pieced pattern if I could have found it.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM

Tartan I have got the quilt pattern included in the wedding pack but can you advise me how to do it before I sew the squares together. It is a pattern which is done on the centre white blocks. How can I transfer from the paper to the blocks do I have to trace it and then sew round it. I'm not very good at free motion but the squares look a bit empty without something in them. Can I do wadding on the backs or how do I do it.sorry for all the silly questions but after doing 42 12" squares I am a bit baffled as to how to complete. I still have borders to sew and they are nearly as intricate as the blocks but would love to get time to get them done but daughter is about too much and she has no idea that I am doing it. Thank you for listening to my rantings
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Are you thinking of QAYG(quilt as you go)? If you quilt each block before joining them, it is going to be a little tricky to sew them together after but not impossible. Keep the quilting back a good inch all around the edge of each block. This will let you pull back the batt and backing to sew the quilt block fronts together after quilting. Once the edges of the blocks are all machine joined in the front, you will trim the batt edges so they lay flat ( butting against each other) you can join them by ironing batting tape along the crack. A thin strip of thin fusible will work too if you can't find batting tape. Once that is done, you can hand stitch the backing squares edges together.

To get the quilt design onto the center of the white part, there are a number of ways. You can mark the the design on a stack of tissue paper squares and staple the 4 corners together. Put a dull needle in you machine (without any thread) and stitch over the design through several pieces of the tissue. Remove the staples and you will have several copies of the quilting design. Pin the design to each prepared quilt sandwich block and quilt the design. You can then gently pull off the tissue paper. This method allows you to follow the design but won't leave any MARKINGS if your FMQ isn't perfect.

You can also QAYG in sections or strips so you have less joining to do after quilting. I think I might do 2 blocks wide down the whole length of the quilt. Easy to get into the machine and quilt but you would only have to sew 4 or 6 strips together depending on the size of the quilt.
If this wasn't what you were asking, never mind.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 AM

Thank You Tartan this is exactly what I was asking. I understand what you mean by joining the blocks and yes that could be beyond my expertise lol . I am certainly going to try doing the quilt pattern as you suggest. Wish me luck and thank you so much for your reply.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM

I am looking for a foundation pattern for the double wedding ring block.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

This DWR is made by paper piecing the corners with strips in between the corner units. It gives the illusion of a DWR. I Googled for a couple of days for this older McCalls quilt pattern kit. I finally gave up and drafted my own on graph paper. If you look at newjeepgreen's earlier picture posts, you can see how to do it.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Where did you find this pattern and how much was it. I love this and want to make it.