Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Dreaded Drag when free motion quilting >

Dreaded Drag when free motion quilting

Dreaded Drag when free motion quilting

Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 AM

Default Dreaded Drag when free motion quilting

I have been quilting for about 10 years. When I started quilting I decided that I would finish my entire quilt. I know a lot of people will send their quilt out to a long arm for quilting. I taught myself stippling and now have branched out and started taking Craftsy classes. These classes have given me the confidence to incorporate various quilt designs on my quilt tops.

A little over a year ago I found a gently used Handi Quilter 16. The original owner quilted one small table runner then became ill and was unable to use it anymore. Her daughter asked the dealer they had bought it from to help her sell it.

I purchased the overlay but no extra extension tables. I have it next to my sewing machine cabinet which is to the right if the Handi Quilter table. I still have the dreaded drag and have tried rolling and clamping the quilt. I am on the Handi Quilter forum and have been reading posts about the Jennoop Quilt Suspenders. So many were giving accolades for solving their drag issues when free motion quilting. I went to the website and watched the video on how the system works. I place my order Wednesday of last week and received the shipment Friday afternoon. I opened the box and assembled the frame in 5 minutes. Set it up around my Handi Quilter table and away I went resuming my latest free motion quilting project.

Wow, this solved all of my drag issues. I now have complete control when quilting and am not struggling with my quilt. My stitching is more consistent and my shoulders and arms are no longer sore. I would highly recommend this system to anyone who finishes their quilts like I do. The unit costs $113.00 which includes shipping. The unit works for domestic sewing machines too. Please check out their website www.jennoopquiltsuspenders.

This was the best $113 I ever spent!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Even for those with a regular sewing machine, it is helpful to have suspenders. I have heard that some folks put eye hooks in the ceiling and then have a cord/rope/leash-type coming down and helping take the drag off. If a person is a serious quilter, I mean QUILTER (not piecer!), then it makes sense to make such a setup to make this job a lot easier.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482873[/ATTACH]

I may have to give this a try!
Attached Thumbnails 482870d1405258983-image.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 AM
KLO

What a fantastic, simple, and innovative idea! It doesn't take up much space and can be set up around any machine cabinet too. It's nice to hear that this works so well also. Thanks for being a guinea pig and trying this out. Especially thanks for reviewing it here on the QB. I think you may have helped a lot of quilters with their arm and shoulder pain.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 AM

I am always skeptical about new items but after hearing from so many quilters decided to give it a try. Once you clamp the bulk of your quilt in either side, free motion quilting is a breeze. No need for anything under the quilt like the supreme slider. The quilt I am quilting is a full size. I feel like I am quilting a table runner. The ease of maneuvering the quilt is effect-less. I will begin quilting my dresden plate within the next month. This quilt will be entered in our quilt show in March of 2015. I know without a doubt that my stitching will be more consistent. Cannot say enough about this new product!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 AM

WOW, had not heard about this wonderful idea, next payday will place an order!!! Read the whole web site.....made in the USA!!! My kind of gal!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
WOW, had not heard about this wonderful idea, next payday will place an order!!! Read the whole web site.....made in the USA!!! My kind of gal!!!
Yes, this unit is made in the USA. The lady who came up with the system is a fellow quilter who was just like the rest of us, struggling with the dreaded drag. I love the fact that I am buying something made in the USA and supporting a fellow quilter. Such a nice lady too!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Yup, you're preaching to the converted. Here's my set up my husband made for me out of a repurposed roof rack off our camper. Love it! And here is a link for another similar solution using a coat rack. http://rhondabracey.com/2014/04/27/i...hold-up-quilt/

its t's well worth the effort to come up with something similar, because it makes the quilting process way more enjoyable and improves the ability for a great outcome.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Oh my gosh!! What a wonderful idea! I have hesitated to quilt on my DSM because I have shoulder and back problems to start with. I have just showed my DH these pictures. Now all I have to do is convince him what a great idea it would be to have one and save all that money on long arm quilting. :-)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM

very intersting