Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The Easiest Tumbler Quilt You'll Ever Make!

  1. #1
    Member Lystra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina
    Posts
    86
    I love the Missouri Quilt Co. tutes.....wonder if you could make a template of this ruler without buying theirs.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvEQE...eature=recentu

  2. #2
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    I watched that video a few days a go. Like you I dont want to pay for something so simple. I bet you could make this out of plexiglass. Plexi is easy to work with. just score it with a razor knife and give it a good swift hit while hanging it over the edge of the table and it breaks right on the line you scrored a few times. You could enlarge this pattern to almost any size with your printer. http://quilterscache.com/T/TumblersBlock.html

  3. #3
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    I've made several tumbler quilts and never had a template. I just take whatever size square I want and then cut from one corner to the bottom moving in an 1" to an 1 1/4". It works fine for me. I usually take my stack of squares, measure in the amount I want and then run a marker down the side of the stack. That way I don't have to measure each one.

  4. #4
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Heres another one that shows you how to make the tumbler template.http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/09/...aby-quilt.html

  5. #5
    Member Lystra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina
    Posts
    86
    Thanks, guys.....knew you'd be all over this one:-)

  6. #6
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    thanks!

  7. #7
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cool links - great project for the middle of the night mindless sewing using scraps

    Thanks ladies!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,017
    Thank you.......love this pattern!

  9. #9
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    This one looks like fun I want to make it out of repo fabs.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    i love it! thanks for sharing!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I watched that video a few days a go. Like you I dont want to pay for something so simple. I bet you could make this out of plexiglass. Plexi is easy to work with. just score it with a razor knife and give it a good swift hit while hanging it over the edge of the table and it breaks right on the line you scrored a few times. You could enlarge this pattern to almost any size with your printer. http://quilterscache.com/T/TumblersBlock.html
    :thumbup: DH has made MANY templates for me out of plexiglass. The last one made was the Twister....haven't used that one yet but all the others he's made work beautifully!

  12. #12
    Super Member Dodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,392
    Blog Entries
    1
    an easy inexpensive way to make templates is to take the paper pattern use cement glu and glu it to template plastic you can get at JoAnns then glue that to a piece of sand paper and you have a wonderful template that will not slip or slide

  13. #13
    Junior Member dottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pace, FL
    Posts
    112
    Thanks for sharing..I love the Missouri Quilt Co. Tutes.
    dottie

  14. #14
    Senior Member Numa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Alexander PA
    Posts
    469
    I ordered the tumbler template and a deal of the day charm pack and love the ruler. Pieced a table runner in about 35 minutes with the two of them. It is a slick ruler to use. I want it to make quilts at church. I am really happy with it.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've made several tumbler quilts and never had a template. I just take whatever size square I want and then cut from one corner to the bottom moving in an 1" to an 1 1/4". It works fine for me. I usually take my stack of squares, measure in the amount I want and then run a marker down the side of the stack. That way I don't have to measure each one.
    Wow! that is so cool! just cut a bunch with your technic, thank you!

  16. #16
    Junior Member quilterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've made several tumbler quilts and never had a template. I just take whatever size square I want and then cut from one corner to the bottom moving in an 1" to an 1 1/4". It works fine for me. I usually take my stack of squares, measure in the amount I want and then run a marker down the side of the stack. That way I don't have to measure each one.
    I thought of doing this too. It would really be pretty easy & no need for a template.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BizyStitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Lystra
    I love the Missouri Quilt Co. tutes.....wonder if you could make a template of this ruler without buying theirs.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvEQE...eature=recentu
    If you happen to have the Accuqilt GO fabric cutter, they have the tumbler die and you can cut out a quilt in no time. I've made one and want to make more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.