Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: easy method for quilt as you go

Blog Entries

easy method for quilt as you go

check this out: www.baysidequilting.com I tried this and it is so easy. I do not have the tool. I just cut my batting one half inch short all the way around. Also, I did not stitch all the way to the edges so that I could join blocks. I am just amazed with this method as I have struggled so long unsuccessfully with machine quilting and trying to get the quilt sandwich FLAT and smooth. Made my day.
    Last edited by Up North; 02-25-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fixed link

Thanks for the link, but it won't work as a clickable link as your dots (after the "com") are highlighted as well. I just copied and pasted, deleting the dots to go to the link, but if you could go back and edit your post, it will help others to just click on it.

Went to their home page. What exactly were you looking at?
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I, too went to their home page and looked for quilt as you go but could find no reference.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Went to their home page. What exactly were you looking at?
    I couldn't find it either???

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about "fun and done"?

https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284

It is very easy to do, but I personally do not like this method at all. I found it very difficult to get the pattern to line up from one block to the next. I took a class and the instructor just said 'they don't line up'. This is the only quilt I've never finished.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Are you talking about "fun and done"?

https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284

It is very easy to do, but I personally do not like this method at all. I found it very difficult to get the pattern to line up from one block to the next. I took a class and the instructor just said 'they don't line up'. This is the only quilt I've never finished.
    yes, fun and done.....................aww, I understand what you are saying. I did it on a scrappy quilt so there was no lining up (matching patterns)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milli View Post
    I couldn't find it either???
    sorry, "fun and done"

Blog Entries
    it is www.baysidequilting.com "fun and done"

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    check this out: www.baysidequilting.com.......I tried this and it is so easy. I do not have the tool. I just cut my batting one half inch short all the way around. Also, I did not stitch all the way to the edges so that I could join blocks. I am just amazed with this method as I have struggled so long unsuccessfully with machine quilting and trying to get the quilt sandwich FLAT and smooth. Made my day.

Thanks!
    gonna check it out.

Too bad I didn't read the entire post for QAYG - the video was interesting - looks simple - but they DON'T line up??? well, 'guess I had better wait for THIS purchase - some of the patterns were really interesting tho.

vjc

Fun and Done Quilt As You Go

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    check this out: www.baysidequilting.com I tried this and it is so easy. I do not have the tool. I just cut my batting one half inch short all the way around. Also, I did not stitch all the way to the edges so that I could join blocks. I am just amazed with this method as I have struggled so long unsuccessfully with machine quilting and trying to get the quilt sandwich FLAT and smooth. Made my day.
    Thanks for sharing. I am making the "Easy Diamonds" for my sister-in-law now. This is definitely the "Fun and Done Quilt-As-You-Go" and that uses the "Batting Buddy Templates", which belongs to "Prairie Sky Quilting". She has a video on "YouTube" that you can type in "Fun and Done Easy Diamonds Quilt". She demonstrates a short video of how to make them. There are other pattern you can purchase from them using these "Batting Buddy" templates. Everyone would love using this technique. Thanks again for sharing.........vjc

Blog Entries
    Thanks you so much!!!!! I am inspired to try this!

I too used this method to make a baby quilt. It turned out lovely. The nicest thing about it, is when you are done with the top, you are done. I plan on using more traditional blocks to make a quilt this way. I have been thinking about a Mariner's Compass, then maybe a Dresden Plate. It may take a little longer to make the top, but, when you are done with the top, you ar done. Have a great day!

vjc
    This method is by "Prairie Sky Quilting" and the quilt is "Easy Diamonds". They sell other patterns using these templates. This technique uses the "Batting Buddy" square templates that is sold on their site. I have purchased the template set and am working on a quilt for my sister-in-law. The secret is using the templates to get the exact cutting for the square used to cut the larger square of material of your choice and the inside batting square. I have had no problems so far. I am on my 3rd and 4th rows. So far I am pleased with the results.

Give it a try,stichinwitch. If you would prefer a different size for your quilt blocks, you can make your own templates the size you like. As far as not lining up? Um, I made a baby quilt with this method, and my blocks lined up fine. I have to admit, I'm not sure how it would not line up, unless the blocks were made different sizes. When I made my quilt using this method, I cut out the backing fabric blocks first, then the batting and then I started to construct the block. Since all the blocks were the same size, they lined up perfectly. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I like it. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

I am making templates 12 1/2 and 10 1/2 so blocks are a bit bigger. If the backs were cut out of strips cut 12.5 'they should line up somewhat, and if you wanted a square of material 10 1/2 inches and sandwiched with school glue and then quilted should work if you don't want to do scrapy. Have been checking out QAYG and there are other ways but they are way more complicated than this method.

I just watched it and that was awesome thankyou. Yes it is the fun and done video.
    Love is the greatest gift. Jane

Blog Entries
    I just love this Fun & Done way to quilt & it is so fast too!! Thank you for posting this great link, so we can all share it together!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Finally! A link that shows what I have often wondered. How DO you link those things together? Thanks for sharing.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    I am going to try this on something small to see how it goes. I can see that using the template would line everything up correctly.

I did one without the tool and wish I had had it!

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    Finally! A link that shows what I have often wondered. How DO you link those things together? Thanks for sharing.
    Lea Day has a video also that shows how to join squares using biding strips ...looks cool and esy too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    I did one without the tool and wish I had had it!
    Could you explain more about doing it without the tool ? How would it have helped you? I wonder because the tool is a little expensive (for me anyway).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast