Fabric Kiosk

Old 07-18-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Walmarts with fabric departments could use this!
This was my first thought also. Sometimes you have to wait forever for someone to come to the fabric department and I'm never sure if they actually cut it in the amount I wanted.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

What will they think of next? You'd have to keep an eye on it or a kid could have a blast cutting up a bolt.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:26 PM

But will they reduce the price of the fabric since we are now doing the job of cutting it? Just like patterns - cost the same whether you purchase the pattern of down load it!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Very interesting. I wish Walmart would install these. I can never find a sales person to cut for me since they reduced the fabric department to almost nothing.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:14 PM

Agree with the waiting at Walmart, although some stores are better than others. However, the clerks in the 2 WMs I frequently go to are very careful about cutting. I am rarely shorted fabric because of bad cutting there. I'm not too concerned with whether long or short snips to the fabric are used when cutting at WM because they have that groove to cut down.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
But will they reduce the price of the fabric since we are now doing the job of cutting it? Just like patterns - cost the same whether you purchase the pattern of down load it!
Doubt it. Dealers/retailers are not going to absorb the cost of those machines. Someone has to pay for it. What happens if the machine "eats" the fabric. Who is responsible for damaged goods? There's another added cost.
I just returned a fabric piece to our local fabric store (not a LQS). It was cut so badly, there was almost 4" short on one end after I straightened and lined up the selvages. Many of their bolts of fabrics are wrapped on those cardboard bolts crooked. But they still cut the fabric exactly as it comes off the bolt. Not their fault they said. But I was able to exchange the fabric with a newly cut one, after she lined up the selvages.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:43 AM

I would prefer that I interact with an actual human being. However with that being said, WALMART could use one of these as I always have to pick the phone up and ask for assistance in fabrics. Sometimes, I have to ask 3 times before someone comes to cut my fabric. With computers being everywhere, human interaction can be nice!!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks for sharing this site!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I doubt it. The cost of groceries hasn't gone down since self-serve checkouts have been introduced.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 PM

I would love to use one of these cutters in a certain "coupon driven" fabric store we all go to at times. The store in our area has a huge turn over in employees. Most of them know very little about fabrics or the proper way to cut them. I always have to keep an eye on what they are doing. Yep, I'd use this dandy cutting machine in a heart beat.