Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Facing instead of Binding >

Facing instead of Binding

Facing instead of Binding

Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 AM

I've wondered why I couldn't just iron the 1/4" fold and then sew it so it doesn't come undone before I did the rest of the facing. I may try that next time.

Watson
Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Interesting method but it seems to me that it would take a lot more time than a normal binding. the only advantage I could see would be the times when you cannot find a binding that looks o.k. with the colors on the quilt or wall hanging. I could see that as a real advantage.
The major advantage to facing a quilt vs binding a quilt is that it creates a more eye-pleasing finish on "art" quilts. This is according to more than one fiber artist who did lecture/workshops for my quilt guild. Eliminating the binding edge lends a more contemporary look to the artwork.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I bind but use very wide binding. I machine sew it to the front and turn to the back leaving 1/2 edge of binding on front. It makes a nice frame on the back. I'm talking binding that is cut 6 inches wide, folded in half. If I have a wide border on the front I turn it to the front. Easiest binding I have ever put on a quilt. The wide miters fold perfectly. My quilts that are years old and been washed many times have no frayed binding or worn spots with this wide binding. I rarely use standard narrow bindings now.