Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Faultess Starch changing >

Faultess Starch changing

Faultess Starch changing

Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Default Faultess Starch changing

Seems you won't be able to buy Faultless spray starch soon. Faultless has changed to Ironing Enhancer Spray starch and many are saying it is not the regular starch at all. I haven't tried it. The new spray is for people that want to refresh their clothes and make them look like they have been dry cleaned.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 AM

I liked to press my seams with Best Press as I go. But I became sensitive to it. I found an old recipe for making spray starch and have been happy with it. It is 1 Cup Distilled Water, 1/3 Cup Liquid Starch (I use Sta Flo) and 1/4 Cup Vodka. An advantage to this is I can increase or decrease the amount of starch according to the amount of body in the fabrics I am working with. Sometimes there can be flakes of starch after I press but I just brush them off and don’t find it a problem. I always give the spray bottle shake or two before spraying to be sure the starch is completely in suspension.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by FWLover View Post
I liked to press my seams with Best Press as I go. But I became sensitive to it. I found an old recipe for making spray starch and have been happy with it. It is 1 Cup Distilled Water, 1/3 Cup Liquid Starch (I use Sta Flo) and 1/4 Cup Vodka. An advantage to this is I can increase or decrease the amount of starch according to the amount of body in the fabrics I am working with. Sometimes there can be flakes of starch after I press but I just brush them off and don’t find it a problem. I always give the spray bottle shake or two before spraying to be sure the starch is completely in suspension.
Any particular brand of vodka? Did you save some for a cocktail?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Buy the cheapest vodka. Makes no difference if potato. The starch is processed out so none left in the vodka. I use the homemade sometimes but for classes and retreats the bought spray is more convenient and I don't have to answer a dozen times what is this, how do you make it, etc.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 AM

I just use liquid starch and water. What does the vodka do?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I just use liquid starch and water. What does the vodka do?
Actually I have no idea but the recipe works. And I have so much fun telling people there is Vodka in it. LOL.

I was was at a retreat and was given a bottle of homemade spray starch as a gift. All it had in it was Distilled Water and Vodka. She had been told that because Vodka was made from potatoes the starch in the potatoes would provide stiffening. Most inexpensive Vodka now days is grain based. That was a waste of bad Vodka.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 AM

I love Best Press. I hate perfumes so I use the unscented.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 AM

I use the home-made stuff using Vodka. I make it up in a gallon jug and keep it in my fridge down in my sewing room. I like to dunk my yardage into the starch mixture, then I run it thru my makeshift wringer I found which I added a stand to so I can put it between the 2 sinks. Then I hang my yardage up on hangers over the sink so they can drip into the sink and not my floor. Then I'll mist the fabric when I go to press it before I cut into it. This home-made stuff I like best cause I can make it as strong or weak as I want. I also use the liquid StaFlo along with the Vodka and no I don't make cocktails with mine as I'm basically a cheap drunk so stay away from booze especially if I'm going to have a rotary cutter in my hand later. Not a good idea.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM

You don't need Vodka with StaFlo. I use the StaFlo in about a 4 to 1 ratio. One part StaFlo and four parts water. Shake and spray.
If you want a really fine spray, get a spray bottle from your beautician. The spray comes out as mist, not as water droplets. This works as well as Best Press and costs way less than one tenth the price.
If there are white specks, that means you ironed it too soon. Let it soak for a few seconds. Spray a larger area and by the time you are finished with the spraying, the first part is ready to iron.
And any white specks can be shaken off. They don't hurt anything.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Well if you have an empty starch spray bottle or an empty 'best press' bottole, just mix up your own recipe, and put it in the other bottle, then you won't have to answer a gob of questions - Or type up the recipe and tape it to the bottle or write it on the bottle with a permanent marker; then, if anyone asks, they can "take a picture" with their phones so no need for long explanations. Great idea too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-08-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps