Fidget Quilts

Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 AM

Default Fidget Quilts

I see questions on the forum sometimes asking for suggestions as to what to put on these. I have only made a few over the years but after reading a blog post this morning, I think I will try to make a few more. Here is a link to a blog I received by email this morning, I hope it gives others some neat ideas as well. The post is dated June 12th, in case you need to know that to find the pictures. http://kevinthequilter.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2018, 08:16 AM

What a wonderful idea for charity quilts! I have no clue where they need them in this area, but I can make a few. I have all kinds of to sew on them... buttons, zippers, maybe Velcro closures on little pockets... the creative juices are running. Thanks for posting this.

The quilts at Kevin's site are really great! And, everyone was having so much fun!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM

My quilt guild makes fidget quilts for a local chain of Alzheimer's care centers. I have just taken over from the original chairperson, who is moving.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned

Before going all out on one of these. you need to find out what the facility you're going to make them for will and won't accept. For example, some places will not accept one that has anything that can possibly come off, no matter how well it's attached.

Cari
Old 06-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Before going all out on one of these. you need to find out what the facility you're going to make them for will and won't accept. For example, some places will not accept one that has anything that can possibly come off, no matter how well it's attached.

Cari
Yes, that is a good point. The home I made them for wanted them to be a certain size and then I had to attach elastic straps so they could slide them over a table. (I know they thought it was a good idea because then anyone could use it at the table, but I like the idea of these smaller ones that anyone can just have on their lap).
Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Suz

Just finished one which I called a Busy Quilt for a blind autistic GGD (10). I put Minkey on the back and when she felt it she said "woof woof". I made a lot of quilted shapes, i.e., star, moon, square, tree, rectangle, square, butterfly, fish, etc, about 20 pcs. These were attached to strings that could be tucked into the two jean pockets (from her GGPa's jeans) Now she can feel the shape opposed to tracing the shape w/her fingers. I used hugh snaps on strings, zipper, two-piece belt buckle, words and letter in Braille, ruffled flower w/yarn fuzzy center, a forest of stitch-on trees. Lots of buttons. One is a strip of beaded trim w/hanging beads and lots of texture. Can't think of them all. She is one special and loved child in our family as she is also adopted. Her mother is a special ed teacher, now stay-at-home mom w/the patience of Job and has done wonders in opening up this beautiful blossom of a child. God has blessed us.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Just finished one which I called a Busy Quilt for a blind autistic GGD (10). I put Minkey on the back and when she felt it she said "woof woof". I made a lot of quilted shapes, i.e., star, moon, square, tree, rectangle, square, butterfly, fish, etc, about 20 pcs. These were attached to strings that could be tucked into the two jean pockets (from her GGPa's jeans) Now she can feel the shape opposed to tracing the shape w/her fingers. I used hugh snaps on strings, zipper, two-piece belt buckle, words and letter in Braille, ruffled flower w/yarn fuzzy center, a forest of stitch-on trees. Lots of buttons. One is a strip of beaded trim w/hanging beads and lots of texture. Can't think of them all. She is one special and loved child in our family as she is also adopted. Her mother is a special ed teacher, now stay-at-home mom w/the patience of Job and has done wonders in opening up this beautiful blossom of a child. God has blessed us.
Your Busy Quilt sounds wonderful for this little girl. It's so great that she found such a loving family. All children are gifts from God. May He bless her and her whole family!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 AM

Besides Senior facilities and Alzheimer's care centers. Check with your local school system, Department of Special Education. Usually there is a Supervisor of Special Education who could tell you what schools have specific needs and could use these wonderful quilts. Truly it would be a blessing. This is a perfect project for a Guild to take on and work with the school system and other facilities. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Little Lulu; 06-16-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM

I am presently heading (by that I mean storing and moving all the bags of fabric, trims etc) a group of sewers/quilters who meet monthly to stitch together many fabrics to make our version of "Fidget Quilts"
We have named ours Textured Comfort because we use 6.5" squares of any and all different fabrics-the textures together into a 5sq. x 3rows small lap quilt.. We have made close to 300 now and have donated approximately 200 out to local nursing homes and Senior centers.
For anyone wondering how we have done this, here's how. We put out the word through our beloved LQS for donations and what we got was astonishing.
We have purchased nothing but plastic zip lock bags to hold kits. The kits are taken home by some who wish to do sew at home.
The rest are sorted and bagged by local students doing community service. We spend many Sunday afternoon sewing these wonderful quilts and have seen the pleasure and calmness brought by residents/seniors stricken with this terrible condition Alzheimer's.
Any one wishing to know more can PM me and I will happily tell you what and how.
Pegeth