Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Fons & Porter episode >

Fons & Porter episode

Fons & Porter episode

Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 AM

Definition of bashing? I'm thinking just criticism. We've done it on other subjects. Sorry I brought it up....
Old 02-09-2016, 04:52 AM

I have watched both the original and the current content of Fons and Porter. I actually think they all have different ways of presenting, and can all teach us different things. Mary appeals to a younger demographic, and teachs as such. I think part of her appeal is that she uses what is referrd to as Modern colors, although other than the tone of color, some of the remind me of Amish quilts with the solid colors used. Maryann and Liz (retired) teach "old school" for lack of a better description. Everything evolves and changes and we need to try to do so also.

Happy quilting,
Susan
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 AM

Angellight - point well taken........
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 AM

She was hard to take at first, but none of us like change. I have grown very fond of her and her personality is very enduring!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Definition of bashing? I'm thinking just criticism. We've done it on other subjects. Sorry I brought it up....
Not bashing in my opinion-just voicing your opinion. I don't watch her either for all the same reasons as mentioned
before. To me bashing would be discussing her hair, makeup, clothes, etc. To me she is not a good host.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 AM

I preferred Liz and really miss her. Hated to see her retire. My thought on all this is how hard it would be to build this wonderful business and then be ready to retire. What do you do? I was very aware of this recently when a LQS closed for this reason. Another shop has finally opened in the space, but it's not great and I doubt if it will succeed.

I think Missouri Star had a good idea to include the whole family from the beginning. Jenny is the face of the company, but her kids and so on are very involved too. As business owners too we are very aware of what we will do with our company. Bill's kids would not be a good choice to continue it. We have an employee who would be fabulous, but probably can't buy us out. So what do you do?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM

I do watch the show or record it every time it is on. I like it but agree Mary is a little too talkative when she has guest but I think she is nervous.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I think Fons and Porter should stick to hosting the show themselves, or turn it over to someone who actually knows about quilting, not someone who comes off as a "know it all". Mary Fons does nothing but irritate me. Any time there is a guess, she's the one who ends up doing all of the talking, while the guest is probably wondering why they bothered showing up at all. I've seen her do that with Patrick Lose, Sue Hauserman but I think the worst was when Jenny Doan was a guest. That talented and creative woman couldn't get a word in to save her soul, but instead had to stand there smiling, while Miss Know-it-all did all of the talking. All of these folks have a vast knowledge of quilting but weren't allowed to pass any of it on because Mary monopolized the whole program. The show definitely needs an over hall.... the sooner the better.
I totally agree with you! Mary is a daughter BUT she is getting too big for her britches.......just sayin......
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
She was hard to take at first, but none of us like change. I have grown very fond of her and her personality is very enduring!
Me too, and I love her new shorter hair cut.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 AM

I would be more then happy if the PBS stations ran OLD shows featuring Mary's Mom and Liz Porter. I thought they played beautifully off each other and I felt they were real quilters willing to perhaps mess up a tiny bit while filming.