Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
found a new designer-working with wools -modern not folk art(y) >

found a new designer-working with wools -modern not folk art(y)

found a new designer-working with wools -modern not folk art(y)

Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

i too did 'pretty punch' 20+ years ago....and we used a yarn...the needles have changed a bit since then- and now people are using embroidery floss instead of yarn- making some really (detailed) pictures. I purchased a set of (new) needles a couple years ago but have not done anything with them- now that i've found Missie's site I may just have to *jump in * make something new!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Just last week I bought a punchneedle. I am not sure I want to make a whole punchneedle project, but I do want to learn how to make flowers to incorporate into my applique quilts for texture. I have used several different methods and want to make a wallhanging using different techniques in each block. If you have any suggestions or hints for me, I will be watching this thread. One question I have is: do I have to use weavers cloth or can I use regular quilting cotton?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
Just last week I bought a punchneedle. I am not sure I want to make a whole punchneedle project, but I do want to learn how to make flowers to incorporate into my applique quilts for texture. I have used several different methods and want to make a wallhanging using different techniques in each block. If you have any suggestions or hints for me, I will be watching this thread. One question I have is: do I have to use weavers cloth or can I use regular quilting cotton?
I don't know about regular quilting cottons but i've done punch needle designs on inexpensive muslin a few times- I would think most any 'even-weave' cotton will work- you don't want a really tight weave (a batik may not be a good idea) I would experiment a bit- but remember- the fabric does not show-so don't waste any quilting cottons you may wish you had later- i found muslin works really well.