Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free motion quilting tutorial >

Free motion quilting tutorial

Free motion quilting tutorial

Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM

Geta,

You are so talented. Do you have an art degree? I ask because you are so creative. Did you just learn all of this on your own? Do you teach classes? Forgive me for being nosy, but I am curious where you got all of this talent.

Barbara, the golfer
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by golfer
Geta,

You are so talented. Do you have an art degree? I ask because you are so creative. Did you just learn all of this on your own? Do you teach classes? Forgive me for being nosy, but I am curious where you got all of this talent.

Barbara, the golfer
Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your nice words, you are too kind.
I don't have any degree in art, I am engineer! But quilting is my passion and I quilt all day long. I learn all by myself, because here (Romania) quilting is unknown.

I don’t teach classes but I wrote an ebook about shadow trapunto.
It is on my website.
http://romanianquiltstudio.com/english/index.htm

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am glad you find the tutorial useful.

Happy quilting !
Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Geta...I got started on a small test of the shadow trapunto last night and am now taking off the paper. A question....my batting (high loft poly) didn't seem to be the same thickness over the whole piece (I know, probably cheap stuff)...will this have a huge negative effect?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Geta...I got started on a small test of the shadow trapunto last night and am now taking off the paper. A question....my batting (high loft poly) didn't seem to be the same thickness over the whole piece (I know, probably cheap stuff)...will this have a huge negative effect?
I don't think so ! But pay attention at this detail next time.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Geta...where do you set you stitch length when doing your FM over the paper? I use vellum type paper (very thin) and I've found that I can use a 2.5 or even a 3 and it will still tear off very easily. I'm just curious about what setting you use as I think your paper is thicker than mine.
I'm not really a free motion quilter, but in the classes that I have taken, they say the stitch length doesn't matter. In fact, they said to set it at ZERO. You regulate the length of the stitches according to how fast or slow you move the fabric.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
k3n
Power Poster

That's an excellent tutorial Geta, thanks so much! :D I'm fairly new at this and will definitely try your technique of one hand under, one on top. I've been doing the two hands on top with gloves thing and sometimes I do feel like I'm 'forcing' the quilt along.

When you do the backstitches to start and finish, do you still hand sew the ends in or just trim them off? I've been sewing them in and it's the most boring job in the world!

I can't wait to try quilting over paper - I just did some heart shapes by tracing round freezer paper I ironed on, but never thought of actually quilting through paper! Much quicker and nicer than marking the top! I also love the squiggles you use for outlining - nice change from straight stitching.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas and inspiration. :D
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

PS Which model Pfaff do you have? I've been looking at them...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
When you do the backstitches to start and finish, do you still hand sew the ends in or just trim them off? I've been sewing them in and it's the most boring job in the world!
I just trim off the threads !
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
PS Which model Pfaff do you have? I've been looking at them...
I have a Pfaff Select 1530. I bought it 8 years ago.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj

I'm not really a free motion quilter, but in the classes that I have taken, they say the stitch length doesn't matter. In fact, they said to set it at ZERO. You regulate the length of the stitches according to how fast or slow you move the fabric.
That is technically correct..you do set your stitch length to 0....unless you have a BSR for free motion...or when you are using your walking foot to quilt..then you will have a set stitch length. You are sharp eyed to catch that!