Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Gee's Bend kits, $30 @ Tuesday Morning >

Gee's Bend kits, $30 @ Tuesday Morning

Gee's Bend kits, $30 @ Tuesday Morning

Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM
LDB

A great big THANK YOU!!! I want 3 of the 4 (the brown one doesn't do it for me but the others are fabulous!!!) Might even have to have two of the Medalions kit to make one larger quilt. I have made one of the Gee's Bend patterns - to which my nephew immediately laid claim - and loved it. Thank so very much for sharing!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM

I'd love to see all your Gee's Bend quilts when you finish! I will post mine, too!
Like I mentioned, I got the bars and strips kit. I'm planning to make it for a living room throw...the colors will look perfect with my new color scheme. Then I might use the pattern again to make a bigger quilt for my son with some of my own dyed fabrics.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM

You can use the fabric any way you want. If it comes with pattern instructions, all the better. Looks like a good deal.

I went in town to see the quilts at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Very interesting exhibit. They used left-over fabrics from a mill near them. Fabrics that I would not have thought to use in quilts. Learn something new everyday!

Thank you for posting this.

Last edited by quilter68; 04-26-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM

My daughter gave me a book on the Gees Bend quilts, it was a very interesting read. I made two of the quilts from kits for my daughters for Christmas last year. I washed the fabrics in the solution you use for hand dyed fabrics (sorry, can't think of the name) and also used dye catchers. One of the quilts that had red in it still bled into the other colors. I always wash my quilts after I finish them so I can catch any problems before I give them away. So after crying for a bit, I bought other fabric in the colors and remade the quilt. So, just a warning about the hand dyed red.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM

If you do buy a kit and need fabric for backing, here is the best price I can find on the Gee's Bend solids:
http://www.beverlys.com/catalogsearc...q=gee%27s+bend
Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by chaskaquilter View Post
My daughter gave me a book on the Gees Bend quilts, it was a very interesting read. I made two of the quilts from kits for my daughters for Christmas last year. I washed the fabrics in the solution you use for hand dyed fabrics (sorry, can't think of the name) and also used dye catchers. One of the quilts that had red in it still bled into the other colors. I always wash my quilts after I finish them so I can catch any problems before I give them away. So after crying for a bit, I bought other fabric in the colors and remade the quilt. So, just a warning about the hand dyed red.
I dye a lot of fabric. I just finished a baby quilt that I decided to add a wine colored strip into the backing. I forgot that I had dyed and over-dyed it. Apparently I didn't wash it enough because it ran all over the place. My Kona snow is pinkish, the prints are muddied. I was a little upset, but, decided since it's a baby girl quilt, everyone will think I planned it that way.
Boy, do I know that I will always ALWAYS keep washing my dyed fabrics until they run clear.
Sorry about your GB quilt, but, thanks for the red reminder.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM

So, is the fabric good quality, like LQS quality?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
So, is the fabric good quality, like LQS quality?
I can't comment to the quality of fabric, as I have yet to get my kit. I can advise when I get it. However, the solids I linked above are produced by Windham, and they claim it is premium quality. Unsure if the kits use this same fabric or not.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM

The link worked just fine. At the bottom of the page, there are bags shown with small blocks of fabric next to each one. You have to click on the bag for a close up of each kit. At the left side of the page that opens, there's a miniature picture of what the quilt will look like. You can double click on the picture and see what quilt would be made with that kit.