Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Holly and berries quilting motif

This is so cute and free! A quilting continuous line freebie..

http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/H...on_Quilt_Motif

Blog Entries
    THANKS! Have save it for use later!

thanks - I have a project that has been waiting for this!

Thanks! I like this one.

Banned
    Thank you for this one. it sure is an easy one and looks great on any wintery/christmasy quilt top

Your so welcome girls. Merry christmas to you and yours.
    I printed it off for a quilt just waiting for it too!

I love it. Can't wait to try it! Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thank you :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I just love Quiltmaker! I hope they don't change it now that Mrs. Leman, the Founder of Quiltmaker, has passed on.

thanks!

Thank you so much!

Wowee - that's a beauty. Saved that one right away to my design file. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the share!

(Note from this ex-Renoite ... Your avatar/house is beautiful and reminds me of so many we saw in Hidden Valley during our many Christmases there.)

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I can see this on some of my Christmas projects.
    Thank You so much.
    zennia

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222

I'm rather new to quilting and would like to know how you transfer a design like this onto a quilt top to machine quilt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl

I'm rather new to quilting and would like to know how you transfer a design like this onto a quilt top to machine quilt it.
    There are a number of ways, but the one I have found most effective is to print out (or copy) from the original source thereby providing a master hard copy.

From that, determine if you need the design to go larger or smaller for the area on which you wish to quilt it. Recopy accordingly - just one page.

Overlay that page with a piece of Glad Press-n-seal wrap, tacky side down. Trace over the design with a permanent marker (not ball point, nor gel pen, etc. as they both smear and do not ever seem to dry completely).

Smooth the traced Press-n-seal wrap over the area to be quilted and sew through it directly on the lines. Afterward, the Press-n-seal is quite easily pulled off by pulling toward the sewn line. Any little bit that might remain at a tight corner is easily lifted away with tweezers and your design is 100% accurate with no residual lines on the fabric itself.

NOW, SOME CAVEATS: There are a few quilters who won't get near PRESS-N-SEAL because it "gums up their needle." I have indeed had that problem with a regular needle, but have found that "Sewer's Helper" (a silicon-type product that comes in a small bottle similar looking to Fray Check) applied to the needle periodically prevents any build-up. ... HOWEVER, I have discovered even more to my delight that if I use a ball-point needle I have no build-up at all and NEVER have to use anything. I just sew and sew and sew.

I have noticed that after doing yards and yards of this type of work, though, that I start noticing some darkening on my fingertips (from taking off the press-n-seal, I guess), so I wash my hands just to be sure. I've never seen any transference to the fabric, however.

I think you'll like this method, but use a ball-point needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl

There are a number of ways, but the one I have found most effective is to print out (or copy) from the original source thereby providing a master hard copy.

From that, determine if you need the design to go larger or smaller for the area on which you wish to quilt it. Recopy accordingly - just one page.

Overlay that page with a piece of Glad Press-n-seal wrap, tacky side down. Trace over the design with a permanent marker (not ball point, nor gel pen, etc. as they both smear and do not ever seem to dry completely).

Smooth the traced Press-n-seal wrap over the area to be quilted and sew through it directly on the lines. Afterward, the Press-n-seal is quite easily pulled off by pulling toward the sewn line. Any little bit that might remain at a tight corner is easily lifted away with tweezers and your design is 100% accurate with no residual lines on the fabric itself.

NOW, SOME CAVEATS: There are a few quilters who won't get near PRESS-N-SEAL because it "gums up their needle." I have indeed had that problem with a regular needle, but have found that "Sewer's Helper" (a silicon-type product that comes in a small bottle similar looking to Fray Check) applied to the needle periodically prevents any build-up. ... HOWEVER, I have discovered even more to my delight that if I use a ball-point needle I have no build-up at all and NEVER have to use anything. I just sew and sew and sew.

I have noticed that after doing yards and yards of this type of work, though, that I start noticing some darkening on my fingertips (from taking off the press-n-seal, I guess), so I wash my hands just to be sure. I've never seen any transference to the fabric, however.

I think you'll like this method, but use a ball-point needle.
    Thanks so much for the info, especially about the ball-point needle.