Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How to join the ends of binding diagonally >

How to join the ends of binding diagonally

How to join the ends of binding diagonally

Old 05-20-2023, 06:51 AM

It's an extra step but it's how I do it. I use Elmer's washable glue and the iron. My binding is folded in half prior to starting. I add a very thin stream of glue along the quilt top and then add the binding to it leaving about 10 inches free, press with the iron. I continue all the way around the quilt including the mitered corners. When I get to the end where I started, I've already have the end with a mitered edge, I open the binding completely leaving the diagonal fold, add a dab of glue along the edge, place the other end, opened also, press. Take it to the machine and stitch along the diagonal fold line. Take it back to the ironing board and finish gluing and pressing. I have no straight pins to stick me as I stitch down the binding. Take it back to the ironing board to press it and then flip the binding over and press again. Either hand sew it to the back or machine stitch, depending on how I feel. I've glued the backside once or twice in the past and stitched with the machine too. Elmer's Glue is my friend.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:32 AM

There is also a really good one on Missouri Star Quilting that does the diagonal join - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCW...9C28&index=195
Old 05-30-2023, 07:40 PM

I use Missouri Star binding tool. The directions are on the tool so you never lose them!
Old 06-01-2023, 04:48 PM

I just saw this one. i usually measure my ends, cut and sew on diagonal. I think I will do this way next time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fkf-nfRbUM