Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
HST template offering? >

HST template offering?

HST template offering?

Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 AM

Default HST template offering?

Just looked at an email ad I recd from Nancy's notions....offering a template to make 8 HST at one time....but sewing the two squares in a cross (+), the cutting from corner to corner (X) giving 8 bias edged HSTs. I'd rather do it the opposite way, so that my cut edges are on straight of grain. I saw in the recent edition of F&P love if quilting mag the way I prefer, along with a few other "how to" pages.
Oh, and in the NN template write up it states finished HSTs are bizarre fractioned size HSTs, which I don't think I have ever created in all the yrs I've been doing this. Has anyone seen this, or have it?

my edit: I just went back to ad and I think it does both..cuts the X to separate the sewn lines, then + to separate the HSTs, but the finished sizes are still in fractions of eighths....unless their definition of finished means finished sizes of the just sewn HSTs, not when imbedded into a block.....I think I need another cup of coffee!

Last edited by Geri B; 02-10-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I saw the ad too. I thought I will need to re read when I had time to think about it. LOL I have the Fast 2 Mark Easy Triangle ruler. I like it.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I had bought HST on a roll and Thangles but I find myself doing less piecing with HSTs. I did like her new video about making quarter triangles. THAT was very interesting. Please remember, that bias is NOT your friend!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM

It looks like a nice tool, but you can do the same thing easily without it. I buy quite a few specialty rulers but don't think I would do this one. Here's a video for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBKMqyw-0E
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM

I can attest to that. I just made a quilt for my great niece out of her late mom's clothing. I did the Disappearing Hourglass, one of Jenny Doan's tutorials. The way she made the HST's looked so easy, I tried it that way. HUGE MISTAKE. I couldn't get anything to match up. I saw all the mistakes but, luckily, my brother, sister-in-law, and my great niece did not. They were thrilled and my great niece remembered all the outfits I used for the quilt.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM

I got the email but am not interested it. I can manage just fine without the template.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I got the email but am not interested it. I can manage just fine without the template.
.....I agree completely...that one would be a dust collector!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM

What is the name of the template? I can't seem to locate it on the website. Thx!