Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive stash ORGANIZATION!

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    Man, I wish I had a costco. All we have here is Walmart that is close enough to do grocery shopping, and almost everything they have is plastic baggies. I do go to Sam's every now and then and just bought grapes that are in one of those containers. I will definitely keep my eyes out for those things and hope i like what's in the... LOL Thanks for showing.
    Maybe you can ask the produce manager if he will save you the comtainer that he might have to throw out.

Thanks for sharing...this is awesome. Guess I'll start shopping at Costo again!!! :D

Cool!

What a great idea. Thanks for posting.

Those plastic Chinese take-away boxes are now going to have my stash arranged in them from now on.

Is this doing our bit for the planet?

Wow, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Great idea! I like that they are see through.

I inherited all of my grandmother's (and through her, my great-grandmother's) sewing stuff. Words can't describe how much STUFF. For example, there were, at last count, 92 crochet hooks. So you can imagine the thread, buttons, zippers, bias tape, etc. :shock: (I'm grateful for all the goodies, but whew! LOL!)

My sewing room is 9' x 9'. Tiny. Where in the world was I going to put all the stuff??

My grandmother had her yarn stored in big metal cabinets that had doors on them. Nobody else wanted them, so I gladly took them and cleaned them up. Now they house my stash. On top of the metal cabinets, I bought some of these storage containers from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...of-14/13376573

They're large see-through shoebox-style containers with latching lids, for $2 each (sold in packs of 14).

I stacked them on top of the metal cabinets, and it's easier to find what I'm looking for. :)

Not free, but they're cheap and also very tough.

I do recycle a lot of stuff, though. Empty cashew cans work great for holding tidbits of thread, small fabric scraps, etc. Pringles cans have clear lids, and can hold longer stuff like pens, scissors, etc. They can be stored sideways on a shelf, with the lid facing out, so you can see what's inside. The bottom half of a 2-liter soda bottle can store stuff as well.

My Granny kept empty Tide boxes, decorated them with contact paper, and used them to hold her patterns. They fit in the boxes perfectly. :mrgreen: She also hung vinyl shoe storage thingies on the back of her sewing room doors (she had 2 sewing rooms), and put stuff like packaged bias tape in the little pockets. It worked great! :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What a great idea. Every time I empty on of these containers I wonder what I could use it for. Now I know.
    Thank You
    zennia

Great ideas!

Blog Entries
    Occaisionally I buy broasted chicken for a quick meal. Recently they have come in domed plastic contatiners. The base is about 1 1/2" deep and the dome about 5" tall. They washed up great in the DW--no melting or distortion. I looked at them and thought--garden seed starter trays. The domed lid creates a mini green house--anxious to try them next spring.

Thanks for a great link.

I brought home ( to Australia ) from USA 10 years ago my sewing threads packed in those containers , would you believe I still have them in my sewing room now , they are so great , and they remind me of a wonderful time and the great friends I made in the USA .

Great idea! My mom uses her salad boxes all the time and they eat a lot of salad. Sure beats buying boxes.

Blog Entries
    Thank you I have to straiten out my sewing room and my daughter bed room you just helped my alot. I had told my DH that I was going to buy container. but I guess I really don't have to again reall great idea.

Thanks for the great idea.

I've been recommending this method for months. These containers are great: lightweight and the lids snap tight. If you have the same ones, they stack empty in a small amount of space. There are smaller ones too for things like nuts and yogurt covered raisins (am I giving myself away with that reference?). Anyway . . . good idea.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea, as I am reading that, I am thinking, just last week I recycled about 10 of that type of container, now I can recycle them another way!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I have been using some of the same containers too! Just wash em good and there you got it! :)

It is just DH and I and if I buy a whole head of lettuce or pkg of spinach it usually rots before we can finish. Yes, it may cost a bit more but I buy small quantities from the salad bar. They have plastic containers you can put your salad in and this is what I save and reuse. You pay by the weight and you can even buy them empty if you choose. You just pay the tare weight. Works for me. I feel terrible to throw out food. Just buy what I can use. I live in a small town and go shopping the "European" way. It is all local and I help support my local economy instead of driving 2 hrs. to save a little money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonrise
    I inherited all of my grandmother's (and through her, my great-grandmother's) sewing stuff. On top of the metal cabinets, I bought some of these storage containers from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...of-14/13376573

They're large see-through shoebox-style containers with latching lids, for $2 each (sold in packs of 14).
    Not free, but they're cheap and also very tough.

My Granny kept empty Tide boxes, decorated them with contact paper, and used them to hold her patterns. They fit in the boxes perfectly. :mrgreen: She also hung vinyl shoe storage thingies on the back of her sewing room doors (she had 2 sewing rooms), and put stuff like packaged bias tape in the little pockets. It worked great! :thumbup:
    I have those shoebox-style containers you provided a link to and I LOVE THEM!!! At $2 each with free delivery to store...I think that's a good deal...but I could be wrong..haven't bought them lately.

You're describing lots of GRANDMAS and GREATGRANDMAS out there. They didn't have disposable income . . .like we HAD...so now we must be more like them.

Thank you! I hate to throw some of those packages away. Now I know what I can do with them.

that is a great idea

I use small, medium and large pizza boxes. The pizza places
    are happy to give me new boxes. They are great for different size blocks called unfinished projects.

Thanks for the tip!! :thumbup:

I also save all of those containers from grocery stores. Have put some to use and others are just waiting for me to put fabric or accessories in. Like your photos with all the info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast