Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
interesting video - on old washing machines >

interesting video - on old washing machines

interesting video - on old washing machines

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQlrv...eature=related
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM

My Nana had a WOODEN washing machine that you hand-cranked! I helped her do the laundry on Saturday mornings while we baked all the loaves of bread for the week!

It was amazing! When she died, I was only a teen, but my Uncle in his grief CHOPPED IT UP and burned it! I would have given it to the Provincial museum!

I still get mad when I think of it!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM

I would not have the room for a huge collection like that. So cool that he is doing that. Hopefully he will have someone to pass to down to or given to a museum.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Brings back a memory of when I was 2-3 yrs old and my brother and I were playing in the basement while the washer did it's thing. My brother showed me how to put clothes thru the wringer but he didn't tell me to let it go! My arm went into the wringer - mom was upstairs and by the time she got there my arm was mangled! Weeks in the hospital. Drs wanted to amputate (right arm!) but mom wouldn't let them and she did physical therapy for months until I could use my arm again. The arm is fine now although I have huge scar on the inner part of my elbow.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 AM

wow...that is horrible...I use to have nightmare of that happening. I wonder how many people that happened to. So glad your arm healed!!!
Originally Posted by lorimax5859
Brings back a memory of when I was 2-3 yrs old and my brother and I were playing in the basement while the washer did it's thing. My brother showed me how to put clothes thru the wringer but he didn't tell me to let it go! My arm went into the wringer - mom was upstairs and by the time she got there my arm was mangled! Weeks in the hospital. Drs wanted to amputate (right arm!) but mom wouldn't let them and she did physical therapy for months until I could use my arm again. The arm is fine now although I have huge scar on the inner part of my elbow.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Oh, mercy, Lori! That must have been awful!! Luckily my Nana's was not electric. We had to crank it, but I received many warnings of just such a thing!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM

I had one of those that was built in the 1940's. A white one. I used 2 rinse tubs with it. This was when I got married the first time in l963 and when my oldest daughter was born I washed diapers everyday with it. I used it with my second child too. Probably for about 5 or 6 years. Boyee washers have really changed.