Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Janome 3160 owners >

Janome 3160 owners

Janome 3160 owners

Old 05-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Default Janome 3160 owners

I am in need a a computerized lightweight sewing machine with all the bells and whistles. I have to be able to operate it while in bed, hence the need for computerized. I was looking at getting a Janome 3160, but I read in some comments that it does not have a high presser foot lift. However it does have a pressure foot control on it, so I was wondering if this is sufficient for getting a quilt underneath without struggling. Can anyone comment of that for me? Also, would be interested in hearing any other comments about the machine you may have.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:42 PM

My Mom has the 3160, and hasn't had a problem with the presser foot height. She's put a lot of miles on that machine, and still loves it. It's light, quiet, and a real workhorse. She's not the gentlest with her machines, but the 3160 can stand up to anything.

She has a Janome Horizon 15000 as well, but the 3160 gets more use. I highly recommend it.

​​
Old 05-23-2021, 11:40 AM

I have a Janome 3160Q. Not sure if it is the same machine you are referring to. I love it but I only piece on it. Not sure about the pressure foot space. Throat space is small for quilting.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:36 PM

I've had mine for about 10 years and it's gone from my main sewing machine to my class machine as I've upgraded to larger Janomes. The beauty of the 3160 is its size and weight - around 12 pounds. The limitation is the throat space. If you are making small quilts such as lap quilts it should work fine with the quilting. I chose this machine before I started quilting and one of my criteria was for it to be able to sew on light weight as well as thick fabrics. It has done well. I hope you find the right machine for your needs.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:04 PM

Thank you all for your input. I am hoping for a sale now. If not, will have to bite the bullet.

Last edited by Schill93; 05-28-2021 at 07:06 PM.