Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Long arm demo by Donna Jordan >

Long arm demo by Donna Jordan

Long arm demo by Donna Jordan

Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM

Default Long arm demo by Donna Jordan

I ran across this you tube last night when I couldn't sleep & it's a great one by Donna Jordan. I've never seen a long arm quilting machine in action, let alone a demo on how it is used. I think it's a great video & she is such a good teacher. Now I know there is a whole lot more to the quilting machine than what she was able to show in a short time but I loved seeing the basics from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8m...&pbjreload=101
Old 08-23-2020, 05:17 PM

Thank you so much for this link. I just finished watching Donna’s video and was absolutely amazed. No - I’m not ever going to get a long arm machine but I will happily present my debit card knowing whatever the price ends up to be, it’s well worth it.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 08-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I have had a very nice LA machine, I dreaded the loading of a quilt. It was so boring and tedious. No one really tells you that part. I kept putting off loading the quilts and eventually didn't use it at all. I like sit down machine quilting much better.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:55 AM

Thank you for sharing the video link...I Donna’s technique of folding all 3 to check the size before loading onto the frame. I will definitely try that on my next project.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Thank you for sharing the video link...I Donna’s technique of folding all 3 to check the size before loading onto the frame. I will definitely try that on my next project.

I watched the video last week and now appreciate the work that goes into "loading a quilt" to a whole new level. I don 't own a long arm machine and have no plans to ever own one but my one take away was the folding of the three layers to make sure all are even. I tried it with a baby quilt and it saved a lot of fussing and wondering if I had all three pieces evenly placed on top of one another. Not necessarily a huge time saver, but it leaves one with the peace of mind that the backing and batting will fit your top. A technique I will use again.