Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Machine stitch length settings >

Machine stitch length settings

Machine stitch length settings

Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Default Machine stitch length settings

This article tells how to convert mm settings to stitches per inch.

It also has other useful information about stitch length.

https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/...-stitch-length
Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the info. Something good to know.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the info
Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM

I thunk I must have a very weird brain. When I changed from my old Singer to a brand new Viking 980 back in 1984 I was totally mystified about stitch length. But I seemed to have a flash back to college (way back in the 1960s) and remembered my math and the metric system. (The metric system is actually easier��). Anyway I seem to be able to think in metric and have no problem with figuring out how to go back and forth from metric to imperial. The rest of my brain doesn’t work that well!!! Anyway, just remember that there are 25mm per inch (2.5cm) and then divide - 12 stitches per inch is 2.0 and 10 stitches per inch is 2.5. 6mm is a quarter inch, etc. Just very minor fudging the numbers. Think I got overly explanatory - apologies.

Sand in Mooresville, NC - in the middle of the state
My thoughts are with everyone who is close to the beaches of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina - please take care and leave your homes. My husband’s sister and her husband tried a shelter but husband has MS and the shelter didn’t work out so they are back home and ready to move up north tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
I thunk I must have a very weird brain. When I changed from my old Singer to a brand new Viking 980 back in 1984 I was totally mystified about stitch length. But I seemed to have a flash back to college (way back in the 1960s) and remembered my math and the metric system. (The metric system is actually easier��). Anyway I seem to be able to think in metric and have no problem with figuring out how to go back and forth from metric to imperial. The rest of my brain doesn’t work that well!!! Anyway, just remember that there are 25mm per inch (2.5cm) and then divide - 12 stitches per inch is 2.0 and 10 stitches per inch is 2.5. 6mm is a quarter inch, etc. Just very minor fudging the numbers. Think I got overly explanatory - apologies.

Sand in Mooresville, NC - in the middle of the state
My thoughts are with everyone who is close to the beaches of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina - please take care and leave your homes. My husband’s sister and her husband tried a shelter but husband has MS and the shelter didn’t work out so they are back home and ready to move up north tomorrow.
Your method is "close enough" for many purposes.

I think some of us are - or worked with - engineering types that think in thousands - or less- or an inch.

After all, quite a few people use "fingertip to nose length" to estimate "a yard."
Old 09-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Thank you for posting this. It's very helpful since my vintage Singers measure stitches in inches.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info!

The default on my machine is a 2.5 setting. Every time I change to a 2.0 setting, I have to rip the stitches out. Every single time. LOL!