Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Making your own pressing table >

Making your own pressing table

Making your own pressing table

Old 09-02-2019, 05:54 AM

Default Making your own pressing table

While in our Motorhome, I decided it would be a good idea to make a portable pressing table, as there is limited space, and also I could use it when at my quilting retreat. I hunted around and found a great tutorial for making my own.

When I make mine, I will go to one of the local carpet stores, and purchase a piece of 3/4 inch thick wool underlay, probably a strip that is 6 feet long, and use 5 feet for my ironing board, and the other 1 foot for my portable pressing table. The wool underlay when I press will give me a much better press, also using the suggested insulation and batting as proposed in the tutorial. (Some shops will cut this amount for you, and some won't - you may have to check out a few shops)

Check out this fabulous tutorial for making your own:

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2015...ing-table.html
Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

A good ironing surface is a must have no matter what size it is. I like the felted wool pads. I think the felted wool is the best ironing surface I have ever used. I had one cut to fit my ironing board. I don't cover it, leave it bare. When it gets dirty from starch and sprays I wash on delicate cycle and dry in dryer. I wash the smaller pads this way too.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 AM

I love my June Taylor "Cut and Press" board. They come in various sizes. My favorite one is 12"x 18". It is a self healing cutting mat on one side and a pressing board on the other. It has become my companion on my cutting table as It is perfect for pressing patchwork! I only wish I had discovered this much earlier because just running from one side to the other to press little pieces is to many steps for me. It is also the best to travel with fits right on the back of my tote with a small bungee cord.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:26 AM

Made one a while ago and it one of my most valued tools. Thanks for sharing this tut for those who don't have one already.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:23 AM

Nancy's notions had the same thing on sale last week for $149.00...
Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 AM

What a super idea! Thank you for sharing this tutorial d.rickman! I have two sewing rooms, one upstairs and one in the basement, so I plan to make two.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 AM

I purposely do not have a machine side ironing table. I think I need the time and movement of getting up , walking across the room, and ironing seams. Otherwise, I feel it in my shoulders and back.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM

I covered a wooden kitchen cutting board from Walmart to make a small ironing surface. It's just large enough to do small seams.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 AM

What a clever idea! Thanks for the link. I added it to my project file!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM

AZ Jane - I’m with you about not having a pressing surface right next to my machine. I purposely make myself get up to press so I get a little exercise and I don’t kink my back up. I have used the June Tailor Cut and Press for years and it’s getting a bit shabby - thought I needed to get a new one but discovered the wool pressing mats last year and I’m sold. But I still make sure I have to get up to press.

And hello from an ex-Phoenician- I lived 48-1/2 years in Phoenix before we moved to NC in 2003

Sandy in Mooresville, NC