Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Mare's Bears Quilt Shop in DE: Excellent service! >

Mare's Bears Quilt Shop in DE: Excellent service!

Mare's Bears Quilt Shop in DE: Excellent service!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Mare's Bears Quilt Shop in DE: Excellent service!

I like to visit different quilt shops when traveling (who among us doesn't?) and today I found the best one I've ever been in. Not only was there a lovely assortment of fabric (though not a huge shop) but I must give a shout out to Eileen who was working there when I wandered in.

I was on a mission to find a Kansas Troubles red to be the "hearth" (ie center pieces) for the log cabin quilt I'm starting. A couple months ago I kitted the whole thing but why on earth weren't my red in the box? I got to the beach to discover they aren't here, so .....thankfully there was a solution.

No KS Troubles in the store, but she searched high and low for reds that might work. She was so patient, and gave me her opinion when I asked about my choices. She was also perfectly willing to sell me 1/4 yard even though there was only 2/3 left on the bolt. Some places really try to push that extra little bit. I bought the whole 2/3 probably BECAUSE I didn't feel the pressure and she had been so helpful.

I also had forgotten to bring a birthday gift along for a fellow quilter (a simple FQ). I left home without it, by accident. Plus didn't have a 6x9 mailer with me. I bought a 1/2 yard of a piece I liked to substitute so that I can mail from here. Eileen asked if I had a mailer. No, I admitted. I would pick one up somewhere. She went to her back room and came out with a mailer! "Here you go. You're all set." No charge. Wow. It's the little things, people!!

I overheard her interacting with other customers and she referred them to different shops in the Delmarva area if she didn't have their request. Impressive. She seemed genuinely interested in each person's need, problem, question, and project. If you're ever in or near the Lewes, Delaware/Rehoboth Beach area, you must go in to Mare's Bears. Say hi to Eileen. I will be back!

Last edited by zozee; 08-23-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 PM

what a nice story.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM

That's awesome service! Where in DE is this shop located? I'm always up for a road trip.. depending on where in DE it's located, it could be a quick & dirty trip or if it's by the shore...crab cakes in my future!

Ah...just saw this is in Rehobeth area...crab cakes in my future!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM

And one other thing I just remembered. She didn't make me feel stupid when I said a really dumb thing. Granted, I was still (am still) pumped that I got a brand new niece this morning! So maybe I was a bit absent minded. Or maybe it's the latest excuse I can find for a "senior moment."

Anyhow, this is the dumb thing I said: ''If you wouldn't mind, could you please cut a fat quarter from that half yard of blue? The mat I brought with me is only 17 inches long."

I didn't think about it till I was walking out! She could EASILY have snorted or laughed and said, "You could fold into 4 layers and then cut it," but she didn't. She smiled and said, "Why, sure I can!"

NJ Quilter, you would enjoy the shop and the crab cakes around! Also, if you do come down, head over to another good shop called Serendipity. It's in Dagsboro, maybe 20 minutes from Mare's Quilt Shop? I went there last year and really liked it. It's a LARGE, two-story shop, well-organized, and friendly.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Do these shops sell online?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
And one other thing I just remembered. She didn't make me feel stupid when I said a really dumb thing. Granted, I was still (am still) pumped that I got a brand new niece this morning! So maybe I was a bit absent minded. Or maybe it's the latest excuse I can find for a "senior moment."

Anyhow, this is the dumb thing I said: ''If you wouldn't mind, could you please cut a fat quarter from that half yard of blue? The mat I brought with me is only 17 inches long."

I didn't think about it till I was walking out! She could EASILY have snorted or laughed and said, "You could fold into 4 layers and then cut it," but she didn't. She smiled and said, "Why, sure I can!"

NJ Quilter, you would enjoy the shop and the crab cakes around! Also, if you do come down, head over to another good shop called Serendipity. It's in Dagsboro, maybe 20 minutes from Mare's Quilt Shop? I went there last year and really liked it. It's a LARGE, two-story shop, well-organized, and friendly.
That was very kind of the shop person. I hate cutting 4 layers of anything. I'm lucky I do a decent job on 2!

Have been to Serendipity several times. We vacation in OC, MD every year for a couple of weeks plus are inclined to go on 'dinner roadtrips' to some favorite restaurants in MD. Growing up in Balto and Eastern Shore, MD, I have a few of those!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
Do these shops sell online?
I wondered the same thing!

http://www.maresbearsquiltshop.com/
http://www.serendipityquiltshop.com/
Old 08-28-2016, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

That's awesome...Great service assures returning customers...