Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Marshall Dry Goods Raised their prices

Marshall Dry Goods Raised their prices

I don't know if this has been posted or not, Marshall dry Goods fabrics are now $.50 higher. Their MDG fabrics are now $4.49 a yard, and their name brand fabrics are $5.49 a yard. While $5.49 for the name brands is acceptable for me if it is a fabric I really like, the increase to $4.49 for some of their fabric (with a few exceptions) is not so good. What are your thoughts?

It wouldn't bother me. In this area, prices are up to $12.99 /yard at the LQS. Sometimes they offer a 25% discount so that helps with projects. Even other on-line sources are priced above those you mentioned. I know everyone is on a certain budget so appreciate the information. Thank you!

Power Poster
    I only wish I could get name brand fabric at that price! Try $20 a meter here.

Blog Entries
    $4.49/yard is lower than wholesale for quilting cotton. I'd feel pretty darn lucky to pay that.

Blog Entries
    I have bought a lot of their fabric. I got in on some flat fold bundles b4 the price increase n also some reg bolts for $1 a yard if u bought the bolt. Since I have 3 sisters who quilt I’m more than happy to share since we probably couldn’t afford yardage PLUS the $40 freight fee that I pay to ND I’m very well satisfied with their batiks q of v fabric 108” wides. Woulda bought their b4 if I’d have known about them. My law is well over $15 yd Joann’s quality on some stuff leaves a lot to be desired

No bother here. Still great prices!

If their fabric comes from China or some of the other countries that have tariffs against them, that increase has to be factored in the prices at the store.

Connecting threads have also raised their pricing a bit within the last year, and I've noticed that all the new collections from the same source are about 1$ more a yard. So there have been definitely some kind of increase somewhere in the chain of supply.
    And I agree with Tartan - I would be so glad to pay only 4.49$ for any yardage of good quality fabric. Solid fabric are 12$/y in Canada, designer prints, 18$/yard.
    Last edited by profannie; 01-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    $4.49/yard is lower than wholesale for quilting cotton. I'd feel pretty darn lucky to pay that.
    I would, too! I feel like anything under $10 is a bargain
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

These stores do need to make a profit! Wise shoppers can still find wonderful bargains. I think their prices are still great.

If I like the fabric I'll pay almost any price for it...but the majority of my fabric is purchased from Craft Town Fabrics and the average price is under $6...of course this is from the sale bin, but so much of it is wonderful 1st quality. I would feel that paying $5.00 or under to be a wonderful bargain.

I was just there Friday. I bought bolts of Dream Cotton in white, black, gray, and muslin color for $2.48 a yard. I can't tell any difference from Dream Cotton to Moda Bella. The rep told me it was made at the same factory. Different MDG fabrics are made at different factories in different countries. They have all brands of fabric but Moda and they were $3.99 a yard or less on the bolt.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have purchased fabric from them and felt it was a fair price and the raise doesn't bother me at all since I have seen the price of fabrics in the LQS to be about $12.00 a yard which makes me turn to my stash a lot.

I go to MDG several times a year. They started carrying many more notions now too but the notions are not at a discount price. I found several hard to find notions and rulers there.

Like Tartan said, we're paying $20/meter in Canada. Yes, a meter is slightly larger than a yard.