Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: martelli 50% off sale

martelli 50% off sale

just got an email martelli is having a 50% off sale on everything jan 3-5 I need blades for my 45mm ergo rotary cutter I like it so much and may get the 28mm cutter. im on the fence but might get the the round about cutting mat. just thought I let you all know...........happy new year
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

Thanks for the info. I need a few things too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thanks. I've been looking at their ergo rotary cutter so this might be the time to go for it. What advantages and concerns for each size - the 28 mm or the 45 mm - in your opinion?

What’s the link for the sale?

I've had the 45 Martelli, actually several of them, but bought the 60 and Love them even more! I stocked up on blades earlier this year but of course I could take a LOOK..........can't hurt, LOL
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
    im on the fence but might get the the round about cutting mat. just thought I let you all know...........happy new year
    Re the RoundAbout - If you don't see yourself using the ironing surface, you can order just the base and the cutting mat. That's $95 before the sale (vs $127 for the base, cutting mat and ironing surface). Although I love my RoundAbout cutting mat, I've never used the ironing surface. https://shop.martellinotions.com/cutting-matts.html

I Love their cutting mats, it's all I use now. I bought them on sale, of course. They can be rolled up, don't chip if dropped, you can iron on them (I've done it). There are a lot of informational videos on their site that give more info on the mats than the link to the actual product in the online catalog.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I only have the 45mm but if there’s a sale, I might consider another size. Thanks for the information.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for the info on the sale. I love my Martelli cutter. Need more blades. Great timing on the sale. Already bookmarked it. Thanks again.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Peace and Joy,

You iron on your Martelli mat? There is nothing on their site about being able to do that without damage. Do you iron with your iron set on cotton (hottest setting)? Does the mat warp at all? Being able to iron on it would be a huge advantage.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    Peace and Joy,

You iron on your Martelli mat? There is nothing on their site about being able to do that without damage. Do you iron with your iron set on cotton (hottest setting)? Does the mat warp at all? Being able to iron on it would be a huge advantage.
    If you scroll down and look at the bold lettered paragraph, you will see that Martelli specifically states not to iron on your cutting mat. The heat can warp it.
    https://shop.martellinotions.com/rou...-iron-top.html

Also, it does say that the cutting mat is not made of the same material as their self-healing mats. The rotary cutter will damage the mat because it is not self-healing. Mine didn't last long.
    Another note: It is round. My blocks are square. Round peg...square hole. I didn't adapt well.
    I now have a different brand. Self-healing. Square. Just sayin'
    Last edited by mindless; 12-29-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the note about the RoundAbout. I have been eyeing it, but the price is putting me off. I'll have to check out the videos.

I have an Olfa rotary mat...but it doesn't work well. I was thinking of getting a lazy Susan and putting the mat inside of it. Has anyone tried that?

My husband made me a lazy susan cutting mat using the round top of a 3 legged table. We added a lazy susan turntable to the bottom and a cutting mat to the top. The cutting mat is attached with a thin double sided tape used for backing photos so I can replace the mat as necessary. Measures 19 1/2" across and made with items we already had. Absolutely love it!

I just watched the video for the large mat (30x60) and the owner states that if you have fabric over it, you can iron on it as it will only get flatter when it gets hot.

It's possible some of the smaller mats are made with a different material though.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Martelli 50% off sale Jan 3 to 5

I just got an email and thought I should share.

The Martelli round mat can also come with an round ironing pad, I believe this is what is ironed on. Not, the actual cutting mat.

Would Love their extra large cutting mat, but they charge $55 to ship that to Canada and I'm already paying 30% on the US dollar due to our crappy dollar. I keep looking but stop short of ordering.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by mindless View Post
    If you scroll down and look at the bold lettered paragraph, you will see that Martelli specifically states not to iron on your cutting mat. The heat can warp it.
    https://shop.martellinotions.com/rou...-iron-top.html

Also, it does say that the cutting mat is not made of the same material as their self-healing mats. The rotary cutter will damage the mat because it is not self-healing. Mine didn't last long.
    Another note: It is round. My blocks are square. Round peg...square hole. I didn't adapt well.
    If you watch their videos, you will see/hear. Yes, you absolutely can iron on it. I've done it. You have to have a piece of cotton between the mat and the iron, that's it. Personally, I don't like a hard ironing surface. I know there are well known quilters who prefer them, but it's not for me. The turning cutting mat is so that you can turn and cut when trimming or fussy cutting without picking up a block. I don't know if I've never had a problem with the self-healing issue bc I don't press hard and am using it to just cut through a couple of layers, as opposed to cutting through many layers?

To clarify, I've ironed on my rectangular mats - which also say not to iron on them (which is what I refer to them talking about in the video), not on my round about. Never had a need to, which is why I mentioned above that if I was buying RoundAbout, I wouldn't get the ironing side, i'd buy just the base and the cutting side.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't gotten as far as attaching the mat in my plans. Thanks for the tip on the removable tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    My husband made me a lazy susan cutting mat using the round top of a 3 legged table. We added a lazy susan turntable to the bottom and a cutting mat to the top. The cutting mat is attached with a thin double sided tape used for backing photos so I can replace the mat as necessary. Measures 19 1/2" across and made with items we already had. Absolutely love it!

Mine didn't last long.
    My Roundabout is still good as new and I use for most all my rotary cutting. I looked at my mat to see if maybe I should order a replacement but it looks too good right now to think about it. I change my blade at first sign of a skip and I think that saves any mat because I don't add pressure to make it not skip. Blades are cheaper then a new quality mat. My quilt blocks are square but seldom over 17" which is the size of the Roundabout mat.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I got onto the site and bought the skini-mini ruller 5 pc value pack. I got some Christmas money and decided I'd buy me something for quilting. Hopefully it will help me cut those "common" strips that we all use. Willing to try it for 50% off. And, for some reason, the Priority shipping estimate was cheaper than the Standard shipping!

This year, I'm also trying to spend my precious Christmas money on things I want....but that are "on sale". No full prices for me this year.....trying to make that money s-t-r-e-t-c-h ! ! !

I bought the extra large cutting mat and the wool pressing mat.

with the postal flat rate boxes, it's not unusual to have Priority be cheaper than standard if it's small enough to fit in one of them.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.