Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Merry Mayhem's New Year Mystery 2014

I can't find part 2. Anyone know where it will be posted?

Rather an anticlimactic start.

Go to either http://planetpatchwork.com/Case136/Case136Part2.pdf or her Facebook page.

Thanks for the link. More HSTs. <sigh>. I'm going to finishe those then do all the pressing/ trimming, which will take me quite some time.

I didn't quite make it. I hate making HST this way as I am no good at it. If I had been willing to recognize what we were going to do with those 6 7/8 squares I would have planned differently. But I press on.

Ok, clue 3 makes no sense to me. I can interpret it at least 3 different ways. Help? Do we end up with:
    1. 20 pairs of 2.5x6.5 strips
    2. 20 different 2.5x6.5 strips (because the greys are different in each)
    3. 40 pairs of 2.5x6.5 strips (match the 6 square with *both* sets of half-square triangles that used the dark.

ARGH!

Thank you . I've got it pulled up but never saw it
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Step two done!

On to the next!

Based on clue 4, I'll answer my own question. 40 pairs of strips - you should use 4 of the half-square triangles from each set of 6 that you made in the prep steps.

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    Ok, clue 3 makes no sense to me. I can interpret it at least 3 different ways. Help? Do we end up with:
    1. 20 pairs of 2.5x6.5 strips
    2. 20 different 2.5x6.5 strips (because the greys are different in each)
    3. 40 pairs of 2.5x6.5 strips (match the 6 square with *both* sets of half-square triangles that used the dark.

ARGH!

Krista, on her FB page someone else asked for clue 3 to be clarified & she replied "just match the darks, not sew them & follow the diagram". I'm not that far yet so can't help but on FB there where at least a few replies to help
    Joyce T, RN retired

I can't find step 5 -- does anyone have a link? Thanks.

I found it, thanks to someone who posted it on another site: http://www.planetpatchwork.com/Case136/Case136Part5.htm

All 6 clues have been posted now. Mine won't be as "traditional" has her's since I'm using scraps from my stash & some are pretty bright.
    Joyce T, RN retired

Mine too, Mimi. Her's is really nicely colour coordinated -- mine is not.

Looks like the group fizzled out! I know I did, but I'm back and working on steps 4 and 5. I figure I'll get about half of it done today, but am on target for finishing by Friday. I'll post a pic a little later when the Anvil blocks are done.

Mine is done, except for 2 more seams to stitch the top together. Then I want to add a border, even though hers doesn't ahve one.

I'm regretting my "safe" decision to go with only 2 colours for this quilt (red/grey). I think it would be much more dramatic as a stash buster with each block a different colour. I see another one in my future.

Great Krista! I'm way behind the 8 ball since I didn't do the preliminary work. But I'm plugging along.
    Joyce T, RN retired

Done! True to my plan, the Jan 1 quilt is done on Jan 1. Maybe this bodes well for quilting (and finishing) this year.

Name:  P1010124.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  49.5 KB

Wow, I'm impressed. I've worked on and off all day and still have a long ways to go. I really like your two colour scheme. I like this pattern, but if I do it again, will use a common light for the anvil blocks to help reduce the scattery (is that a word) effect. I have a lot way to go, but this is what is finished at present. My goal is to have it completely done by Friday.
    Name:  New Year mystery quilt.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  133.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed. I've worked on and off all day and still have a long ways to go. I really like your two colour scheme. I like this pattern, but if I do it again, will use a common light for the anvil blocks to help reduce the scattery (is that a word) effect. I have a lot way to go, but this is what is finished at present. My goal is to have it completely done by Friday.
    Looking good! I can get a bit "hyper-focused" when working on a quilt. I pretty much did nothing else today
    If I do one again, I would use more colours. But like you said, a common light - just to pull it all together a bit.

Here are all the links, in case anyone is missing them: (Scroll all the way to the bottom).

http://planetpatchwork.com/Case136/Case136Part1.htm
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Here is my Merry Mayhem top. I'm still deciding on a border--which I think it desperately needs.
    Name:  MMHquilt.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  40.1 KB

Gramma, I love your colour scheme. Mine turned out so scrappy - ugly - I'm thinking about re-doing about 1/4th the blocks to help it coordinate better. The brights I used were too bright against the more subdued ones. I love mysteries, but sometimes my colour choices just don't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Gramma, I love your colour scheme. Mine turned out so scrappy - ugly .....The brights I used were too bright against the more subdued ones. I love mysteries, but sometimes my colour choices just don't work well.
    Thank you. And your experience is what I don't like about mystery quilts. I usually find I would have preferred a different color arrangement. But I like the mystery aspect so I go into it with the idea that my mystery quilt will be a charity quilt unless it is stunning. Now to figure out what to do with the above quilt because I used up scraps and I have nothing for the border. Oh well, guess I'll have to go shopping!

Also...I'm hoping more quilters will post their Merry Mayhem mystery results!

Here's mine:

I had had all sorts of problems. Misunderstood the directions and ended with half the anvil blocks needed, so spent the next day basically doing the whole process again. My accuracy was awful and ended up with nary a point remaining on those HST's, and some of my lights weren't really light enough, as I suspected, but hey, it'll make a nice warm scrappy for someone. Now I'm debating whether to put on borders or not.

--Q

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast